Ideas For A 20gal Tanganyikan Tank

Griz

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm setting up an old 20 gal that has been sitting around. It's 24 x 12 x 16 high. I want to keep some fish from Lake Tanganyika but I realize that this is too small a tank for many species. I'm looking for ideas for a 2 species tank that will work. Some smaller Tankanyikans that I like are Brichardi or Julidochromis, perhaps with some Synodontis petricola? I'd love to keep paracyps but I believe that this tank just isn't long enough for them to be happy. Calvus would be nice but again, I think that the tank would be too small. I already have a shelldweller tank so I'm looking for other ideas. Successful breeding is not my focus.

I would appreciate your ideas.

edit: sp

I do like the idea of a pair of julies. Is there anything that would mix well with them? Perhaps a few small synodontis? I'd really like to have 2 species of fish (Tanganyikans) if at all possible.

I also think Julies might be the best option for that size of tank but I`m not sure what else you`d fit in, maybe a pair of Petrcola catfish but they prefer to be larger numbers and if the Julies start breeding they will have to be removed anyway.

I had been looking at this being a species tank originally but I began wondering if there were any possibilities for a 2 Tanganyikan species setup. Perhaps not :/ . Since it's a tall tank, maybe a bottom dwelling Tanganyikan species mixed with something else, a quick mid/top dwelling fish? Any suggestions? If not, it'll be a single species tank.

The more popular open water fish Cyprichromis are recommended for a much larger tank 4ft ish

Most reactions

Back