Id This Fish, Please!

Freedom

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just 'rescued' a fish from an office, where no one wanted to care for it any longer.  All they know is, it is a white fish. 

It is about 5 inches long.  I need to know if I can put this in either my 20 or 50 gallon tanks.  Or will it eat what I have in them?  (See my siggy for what I have in each tank).

It was in a 10 gallon tank - they gave me the tank, filter, heater, canopy everything.  I have replaced water in the 10, added Prime, using their filter and media.  It is a bit 'churned up' at the moment.  So fish is in a casserole so I could get a better pic.

Here it is in a smaller container, obviously too small so I put it in the larger one above.

The photo they sent made this look like a small fish of about 2 inches.  I was shocked when I arrived and saw how large a fish this is!  Equally, I was shocked at the conditions the poor thing was living in, with loads of build up on the filter, heater, canopy, etc,  this large a fish in a 10 gallon tank.  They said it used to live with smaller fish, but those died in the past year.

I think it's a kissing gourami, but those pics aren't great (not blaming you, btw; photographing fish can be a nightmare!), so I can't be 100% sure!

Yes, does look like those in pictures I just pulled up online.

OK since I have lots of plants, it can't go in my tanks.  PHOOEY!

Also, I see it requires at least a 30 gallon!
Oh wait, now I read about it on Seriously Fish and THAT sounds like I can keep it in my 50 gallon!

What do you think?

It should be okay in your 50g, although they can get quite big. Better than where it was, anyway, poor thing
sad.png

No problem
smile.png
I've never kept them, but my mum had a couple of rescues at one time, and I don't remember them being big plant eaters, tbh.

It is currently sitting quietly in the back under a fake plant.  Very stressful afternoon, moving!  Ha haaa.

Still staying hiding in the back of the tank.  I think I just saw it go up for air and drop down again, in the corner of my eye.

Oh yes there it is, poking among the substrate at the back of the tank!
That tank needs more light, the green wendtii is slowly melting its leaves.  That is what I WAS going to do this afternoon, go get more lighting.  Got the fish instead.  Will get the light tomorrow. 

Oooh pretty, it just drifted across the front!

Gosh I never intended to get a large size fish like this.  LOL

hell be ok once hes settled in its good you managed to rescue him hell do much better now hes in a nicer environment :)

looking-glass said:
hell be ok once hes settled in its good you managed to rescue him hell do much better now hes in a nicer environment
smile.png
Thank you!  I had to check what to feed etc.  This was not planned, on my part, lol.

Definitely a kissing gourami. They virtually eat anything that they can munch on but they have a weakness for algae. They so love kissing it off the glass, plants, etc.

I've had several of these and they were all really aggressive. The last one I got from a used tank I purchased. The fish was huge and mean and only could live with a beautiful (massive) sailfin pleco. I rehomed them both. Anyway, moral of the story is you should be careful with your stocking. The ones I had killed everything else. 

Tongue_Flicker said:
Definitely a kissing gourami. They virtually eat anything that they can munch on but they have a weakness for algae. They so love kissing it off the glass, plants, etc.
This one already is 'in love' with its reflection in one specific part of my tank.  So funny, drifts over there and stares, then drifts off to eat some where else, drifts back to stare at himself!   

attibones said:
I've had several of these and they were all really aggressive. The last one I got from a used tank I purchased. The fish was huge and mean and only could live with a beautiful (massive) sailfin pleco. I rehomed them both. Anyway, moral of the story is you should be careful with your stocking. The ones I had killed everything else. 
I did see that they can munch the slime coat off other fish, thus the fish die.  So far, the one I got does not seem to be going near the other fish.  He is quite amused with his reflection (see above), and I am making sure there is plenty of food for him in there (veggie matter, algae wafer). 

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I will have to rehome it eventually, it is just too big and not what I intended for this tank.  I'm thinking to give it a few weeks to acclimate, that having multiple moves in a short time will be too hard on the fish.  As long as it isn't doing any harm in my tank, that is.  Among other things, I suspect the tank is over full with this large fish in it.  Sure does give a nice show piece, for now.

I'm keeping the 10 gallon tank handy for now, if needed I can take 10 gallons of water from the 50, move the gourami back to its 'old' home.  I've got the filter media from that filter in my 50 gallon filter, so it 'should' work, if I have to do this.  But that is in the future as for now, all seems fine.

Gourami does prefer the back of the tank! 

Freedom said:
Just 'rescued' a fish from an office, where no one wanted to care for it any longer.  All they know is, it is a white fish. 

It is about 5 inches long.  I need to know if I can put this in either my 20 or 50 gallon tanks.  Or will it eat what I have in them?  (See my siggy for what I have in each tank).

It was in a 10 gallon tank - they gave me the tank, filter, heater, canopy everything.  I have replaced water in the 10, added Prime, using their filter and media.  It is a bit 'churned up' at the moment.  So fish is in a casserole so I could get a better pic.

Here it is in a smaller container, obviously too small so I put it in the larger one above.

The photo they sent made this look like a small fish of about 2 inches.  I was shocked when I arrived and saw how large a fish this is!  Equally, I was shocked at the conditions the poor thing was living in, with loads of build up on the filter, heater, canopy, etc,  this large a fish in a 10 gallon tank.  They said it used to live with smaller fish, but those died in the past year.
can i have a pic of the fish in its new home please

Most reactions

Back