Ich heat-treatment questions

I am one of those that don't add anything to a tank. I've had a couple of ich infestations in the past, simply raising the temp (80 or 82f) and lots of water changes takes care of it. Oh, easy on the food.

Update: The lil guy was found stuck to the filter last night :rip:
I was going to share a close-up pic of him hoping it would give us more info, but he had been stuck all day so there was not discernable fungus/injuries to see.

I spent over 30 minutes last night just staring at the rest of them while they ate - getting very familiar with every line and spot on their bodies so I can better detect changes. One large danio had one single spec on his fin that I'll monitor, but everyone else looked perfectly healthy. I'll keep the salt treatment going for the full 2 weeks.

Thanks everyone!!

I have treated Ich with medicated metronidazole flakes for 7 days with gradually increasing the temperature until desired water temperature is reached to 86° sustained the temp for 2 wks, then gradually lowered it to 79-80°. Ich can't survive in high water temperatures, it immediately kills the cycle. I will never keep my tank lower than 79° ever again.
If you kill the cycle you kill the parasite, add stress guard for healing properties.
GL

Update:
Today is Sat 4/23. I started salt treatment on Tues 4/19 and the guy with fungus passed yesterday Fri 4/22.
Today there are spots on two of the seven fish.
One has two spots - she's in the first three attached pictures.
The second fish has just one spot on his side - third picture.

How do y'all recommend I proceed? I have 9 days left of salt treatment. Do I finish that first and then completely clean tank and start heat treatment?

Attachments

• 20220423_104122_007.jpg
    20220423_104122_007.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220423_104126_063_saved.jpg
    20220423_104126_063_saved.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220423_102347_028.jpg
    20220423_102347_028.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220423_103214_082.jpg
    20220423_103214_082.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 22
Just be extremely carefully with the salt , it can cause kidney damage.
These are tropical fish and live in warm water temperatures, raise it gradually until you achieve 85-86 °. The Ich parasite will die off after day four but to make sure keep the water temperature raised for 2 wks for those stubborn parasites.
Tropical fish can tolerate warmer temperatures as long as their not cold water fish like gold fish.

Just be extremely carefully with the salt , it can cause kidney damage.
These are tropical fish and live in warm water temperatures, raise it gradually until you achieve 85-86 °. The Ich parasite will die off after day four but to make sure keep the water temperature raised for 2 wks for those stubborn parasites.
Tropical fish can tolerate warmer temperatures as long as their not cold water fish like gold fish.
All the fish in my tank survived, when treated this way not one fatality.

Update:
Today is Sat 4/23. I started salt treatment on Tues 4/19 and the guy with fungus passed yesterday Fri 4/22.
Today there are spots on two of the seven fish.
One has two spots - she's in the first three attached pictures.
The second fish has just one spot on his side - third picture.

How do y'all recommend I proceed? I have 9 days left of salt treatment. Do I finish that first and then completely clean tank and start heat treatment?
Just raise the temperature to 30C and keep it there for a couple of weeks.

Leave the salt in there for another week then you can start water changing it out.

Most reactions

Back