ICH even after a 4 week quarantine

I am wanting to get some new plants. I’ll have a look at some frogbit. The plants I have in at the moment are starting to take off well especially my hygrophila corymbosa, that’s doing extremely well.

So after a quick 100L change I’m back at 0 on ammonia. love the fx4 for water changes.
I used to have the fx6, does the 4 also have the outlet at the bottom?

Day 4

no change to the amount of fish with ICH, the one with the most white spots has now only a few left that I can see

after a random ammonia reading yesterday all is well and everything is where it should be.
temp holding steady 30c fish still active and eating

The lamp eye that was removed yesterday into my quarantine tank is doing well too.

so far the rise in temperature hasn’t affected any fish at all for those that worry about it

Last edited:
Thats great news.
Im at day 2 with the 30oC temp, Nothing seems affected by the temp. No fish have any white spots on them now & all active & eating even the 3 day old fry

Day 5

most of the neons are white spot free now , the odd one or two on a few remain.

No other fish seems to have any white spots

One neon is looking rather fat almost a pregnant mollie shape but still active and eating. So far so good.

seem like your have some luck as well from this jonny-5.

Yes, Its a good fix Salts155R, i cant see any white spots at all now at Day 3, Although my Old Cory has a little fungus around his dorsal but this is where i saw most of the white spots on him. I could do with treating it right away but dont know how to approach it as i have such a long way to go with the Heat treatment. Any meds may see them off

Sorry about that Salts, Its never nice to hear, Im following your thread very closely as you know.
Dont want to rub it in so to speak but my lot seem fine, Nice stable temp & on Weds ive reached the 1/2 way mark
The fry seem to be out constantly now teasing the adults then swimming off

Sorry about that Salts, Its never nice to hear, Im following your thread very closely as you know.
Dont want to rub it in so to speak but my lot seem fine, Nice stable temp & on Weds ive reached the 1/2 way mark
The fry seem to be out constantly now teasing the adults then swimming off
Glad your tank is good and clearing up :D awesome news. Got everything crossed you come out the other side.

All my other fish are ok having said that my clown pleco I’ve been looking for but he’s found a new hiding place. All the neon tetras have completely cleared up not a single spot on them.

the clown loaches on the other hand ones not to bad with maybe 10 with spots Max the other looks like he’s just white with orange and black spots.

It looks like I’m having trouble keeping it stable at night, old cottage and the cold weather heat goes straight out the house. When I get up for work at 2am the temp is 29c

today is day 7 for me. Will see it’s like when I come home later this afternoon ??

If you have problems with the tank water temperature dropping overnight, insulate the tank with polystyrene foam sheets (available from any pet shop). Use some tape to hold sheets of 1 inch thick polystyrene foam on the back and sides of the tank. You can also stick some on the front of the tank if it's really cold outside.

The aquarium should also be sitting on a piece of polystyrene foam.

Have a coverglass on top of the tank to stop the heat escaping. Use 4, 5 or 6mm thick coverglass. The thicker glass will insulate better and be less likely to chip compared to thinner glass (say 3mm thick).

You can tape or glue sheets of polystyrene foam to make a cover for the tank at night. This will help trap more heat.
*NB* make sure no water vapour builds up under this cover and drips onto light units. If possible, remove the light unit at night if you are using a foam lid on the tank.

In an emergency situation, you can hang towels or blankets over the tank to help keep it warm. But make sure no water comes in contact with the towels/ blankets because they can drain the water out via capillary action and wicking.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I’m right on this but white spot is sometimes caused by stress am I right?

If so it could be a possibility that the new fish you’ve added have got stressed after you picked them up and they have developed ICH

White spot is an external protozoan parasite. It will infect any fish in an aquarium. However, the parasite has to get into the aquarium and will not simply appear in an aquarium unless it has been introduced.

Yes i know about the heat thing Salts155R, I live in a old edwardian house, sometimes when i come down in the morning it has dropped a little but only by .5oC yes this can make all the difference but throughout the day its mainted at 30.5 so the difference is still within tolerance of the temp needed.
I have an external digital thermometer probe thing with alarm, also a floating alcohol 1 on the other side of tank, They seem to both say the same temp. All the fish seem fine, Not seen any white spots for a few days so im remaining hopeful. Hopefully we will make it through together ?

Another thing i forgot to mention, my Cory that had a secondary fungus around Dorsal fin, Seems to be clearing up with no help needed from medicines. I am really pleased about that, Like i said hes been here forever & all the kids & visitors look in the tank & he is the first fish they see, So i would hate to loose him

Day 12
Sorry guys and girls for the lack of updates but day 12 and everything is looking good.
no loss of fish and my clown loaches have cleared up.
No sign of white spot anywhere.
Have a done a gravel vac and 50% change yesterday but surprisingly it was very very clean.

thanks for the info @Colin_T i put some left over insulation around the tank (celotex) and that’s kept the temp very stable.

all is looking very good

Most reactions

Back