Ich and cloan loaches

acker16

Reaction score
I recently bought 3 Cloan loaches (the total is now 4)
As I read here and in other places clown loaches get Ich on a regular basis .
I now see a couple of small white spots on the tails of 2 of them and I don't know what to do.
There's now way I could catch them without ripping all the plants apart - I don't see how anyone can catch fish in an established planted aquarium !
I added 1 cup salt for 5 Gal., what now ?

What size is the tank, and what are water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, yes clown laoches are very prone to whitsepot, do a water change to remove the salt as clown loaches are a scaless fish and can't tolerate salt.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article2.html

Size of the tank any other tank mates inside? water stats?
Inorder for us to help we need to know what might be the cause of the problem stress or the fish carry in the disease.

Mostly if your tank only have Clown loaches you can treat them with medicine which is easily found in any LFS. Just ask those ppl work there they will surely give u a brand and mostly all of them works pretty well on ich. Read instruction when added to ur CL tank. Some ppl suggest half of the does for clown loaches because they r scaleless. I find that it was not nessarrily true. Its matter effect a safe does but not working well for me when my clown loaches have ich read the info before using ur medicine if it doesn't say anything about scaleless half does then other just add normal does to treat them over use medicine is bad but not enought wouldn't cure ur problem either. Last time I have ich I have to remove them from main tank and treat them alone since I got tetra in main tank as well. And beside a hospital tank is always nessary. As I have all those big tank if treat in there with some medicine that require 10 drop per gallon that would be hell to me I have to spend so much money just getting medicine. But if ur tank is small then its ok.

acker16 said:
I recently bought 3 Cloan loaches (the total is now 4)
As I read here and in other places clown loaches get Ich on a regular basis .
I now see a couple of small white spots on the tails of 2 of them and I don't know what to do.
There's now way I could catch them without ripping all the plants apart - I don't see how anyone can catch fish in an established planted aquarium !
I added 1 cup salt for 5 Gal., what now ?
Wait did you seriously add 1 CUP per 5 gallons?

Thats a LOT of salt.

First of all by cup I ment table spoon .
second I too have tetra and not such a small aquarium but I really can't catch the loaches they're hiding in the plants.
Does Ick ever go away whithout using medicine?

No it dosn't only way is high temp and salt which the clown loaches can't tolerate, best to medicate , read instruction as you might need to half dose with the clown loaches.

acker16 said:
First of all by cup I ment table spoon .
second I too have tetra and not such a small aquarium but I really can't catch the loaches they're hiding in the plants.
Does Ick ever go away whithout using medicine?
It ain't that hard to catch them even tho they swim fast just unburrow ur plants if they trying to hide. Eventurally u will catch them.

Most reactions

Back