I Want To Breed My Bettas

Tortea

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Right all i have is:

2Males, One 250l tank and one 80l tank,
1fry tank 20-ish l
And thats it,

Also i have about 30 live plants.The Fry Tank Will have to stay as the fry tank, so i can't keep a female betta in there for long, maybe only to breed.

What more do i need?

Can't i just have one?
Nope.

The male Can become aggresive during breeding season.

They will Look for a good female etc.

One on its own could be a risk of fights etc.

So the male needs a variety.

1 male + 1 female = One Fight.

5 Females + 1 male = More variety.

Though unless there a breeding pair. Then it should be safe.

Or if the female shows breeding stripes and the male constently flares.

then allow them in together AT OWN RISK.

lol.

It can Be easy if you know what your dealing with...

I Have never tryed it myself. Let alone keep females. ( I Supposinly brought a female for my Juwel ( a few years back when i had a 80 litre )

And it turned out to be a PK Male Witch... Killed my other betta. ( Mistakenly. We did'nt realize till the morning the one male went missing. :crazy: )

Anywho.

Yea... I Have only studyed and researched.

Oh Btw.

You need a males bubble nest aswel

then he will inite a female underneathe it

adn they'll curl around eachother as the male vertilize's the egg's.

Then remove the female. then when fry is born remove the male To prevent loss of fry.

Can't i just have one?
Nope.

Where on earth did you get that info from?
Thats the point of Selecting and Conditioning, so YOU can see whats the best male and female.

Can't i just have one?
Nope.

Where on earth did you get that info from?
Thats the point of Selecting and Conditioning, so YOU can see whats the best male and female.
Listen.

Basicly.

If oyu put 1 male and 1 female together.

They could fight.

so they always say.

you need to have a ratio of females with males.

Unless its a breeding pair or something?

I Read it up on the internet that males should'nt be kept with 1 female..

Unless they start breeding then it should be fine.

Can't i just have one?
Nope.

you really dont have a clue about how to breed them
They will Look for a good female - they will breed with anyfemale you put infront of them thats eggy and if there not then they will attack them
One on its own could be a risk of fights - no matter how many there are they will fight adding more will only mean theres more fighting and more injerys
5 Females + 1 male = More variety - there would just be a massive fight and the males fins would not do to good and it would suprise me if it got killed
Though unless there a breeding pair. Then it should be safe. - bettas dont pair up and evan if they have bread before there will still be agression
Or if the female shows breeding stripes and the male constently flares. - just because the female has breeding stripe and the male flare dosnt mean there ready the female needs to be eggy and both of them need to have been conditioned for a week or 2 and the male needs to have made a bubble nest.

if you are going to breed them the male and female need to have been conditioned. they need to have a 10g+ tank to themselves to breed in. after they have been conditioned the female should be added to the males 10g+ tank in a chimely and once she is eggy enough and the male has built a bubble nest can they be introduce but they need to be whatched the hole time they can kick off in second.

you really dont have a clue about how to breed them
They will Look for a good female - they will breed with anyfemale you put infront of them thats eggy and if there not then they will attack them
One on its own could be a risk of fights - no matter how many there are they will fight adding more will only mean theres more fighting and more injerys
5 Females + 1 male = More variety - there would just be a massive fight and the males fins would not do to good and it would suprise me if it got killed
Though unless there a breeding pair. Then it should be safe. - bettas dont pair up and evan if they have bread before there will still be agression
Or if the female shows breeding stripes and the male constently flares. - just because the female has breeding stripe and the male flare dosnt mean there ready the female needs to be eggy and both of them need to have been conditioned for a week or 2 and the male needs to have made a bubble nest.

if you are going to breed them the male and female need to have been conditioned. they need to have a 10g+ tank to themselves to breed in. after they have been conditioned the female should be added to the males 10g+ tank in a chimely and once she is eggy enough and the male has built a bubble nest can they be introduce but they need to be whatched the hole time they can kick off in second.

Ermmm.. Yup, that explains it better :look:
:lol:
:good:

You want one female to each male, to give you options if one of them refuses to breed. Of course, you can just wait and try again if your chosen pair don't breed. Saves keeping loads of fish in condition. Males and females need to be conditioned with good quality live and frozen food for a couple of weeks prior to spawning. You can't keep the male and female together for a while and just hope they get down to it. You need to effectively get them really horny and then put them together at the last minute. If they spend too much time together, you're increasing the risk of them fighting (and there is a very good chance they will fight).

You'll need loads and LOADS of jars for the male fry and you'll need to work out a way of keeping them at tropical temps. You culd get 50 males, so beware. They need to be kept seperate after a few weeks. The females can be kept together in a large tank.

In short, you need time, money and SPACE.

Beware about breeding for the heck of it. If you don't match the male and female right you can end up with a real mess of tail types or body types. If you don't breed something desireable, you could end up with dozens of fry without homes that you'll need to look after or cull. Think about the impact that breeding will have on all concerned.

I'll let someone who breeds fill you in on the fine details. I've decided not to breed yet for a very good reason - it is a lot of time and money to set up. You can't just leave them too it like with livebearers.

i have a question, when do you know the girl is eggy? does anyone have pics?

sorry to hijack, but its something i have thought about too, and thought this might help the OP too

Most reactions

Back