I want know what your thoughts are!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lazarusthefishboy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a 90 litre tank, and I was just wanting some opinions from you. I am leaving my big fish in the tank, as I have had most of my fish in that tank for over a year now without any problems! Just wanted your thoughts on it! Here is the link to my youtube video that i posted yesterday of an update on my 90 litre aquarium. Check it out, and leave your thoughts bellow!:)
Youtube link:
my 90 litre fish tank!!!

I like the look of your tank. 20g seems a lot small for the fish that you have. I'm no expert, but from some knowledge I do know that angelfish need larger tanks, as well as electric cichlids and pearl gouramis. Loaches and cories do need to be in groups, but with more fish in that tank will increase your stocking issue, so you will need to work something out.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

----------------------
Depending on what the GH of your water is will determine what fish you should keep. Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH.

----------------------
You have a Rift Lake cichlid (electric yellow) that needs hard water, and a group of other fishes (danio, angelfish, gourami and loach) that need soft water.

The angelfish is bullying the gourami.
Danios need to be kept in groups in cooler water so the females don't develop eggs and become egg bound.
The loach needs to be kept in groups as do Corydoras.

Lots of issues.

Find out what the pH and GH are and go from there. But the electric yellow was not looking very happy and the angel was being obnoxious.

The tank is 45x45x45cm, and the PH is 7.3-7.5. I do not know what the GH is, but do you reckon I have enough room for three more cory catfish? Because they do need to be in a school and they are SO CUTE!

but do you reckon I have enough room for three more cory catfish? Because they do need to be in a school and they are SO CUTE!
I stated above that you already don't have nearly enough room for what you already have, so you need to get rid of a lot of your fish before fixing social problems.

Ok, I won't get anymore fish for this tank unless the population lowers down by a lot. Thank you for your thoughts. I know the angelfish and electric yellow cichlid are big, but I have been having no problems with them, and they have seemed to be doing fine for the past year or so. so no fish are going to get given away. If they weren't doing fine, and were killing other fish, then I will return them, but right now all is fine in the tank. Just wanted your thoughts! I will let you all know if I am having problems with the fish ;) BYEE!!!

You can find your GH on the website of you local water provider:)

The angelfish is bullying the gourami.
If they weren't doing fine, and were killing other fish, then I will return them, but right now all is fine in the tank. Just wanted your thoughts! I will let you all know if I am having problems with the fish
From what Colin said here, I would probably return either the angelfish (so it doesn't bully) or the gouramis (so they don't get bullied). You might not see this, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Ok, I won't get anymore fish for this tank unless the population lowers down by a lot. Thank you for your thoughts. I know the angelfish and electric yellow cichlid are big, but I have been having no problems with them, and they have seemed to be doing fine for the past year or so. so no fish are going to get given away. If they weren't doing fine, and were killing other fish, then I will return them, but right now all is fine in the tank. Just wanted your thoughts! I will let you all know if I am having problems with the fish ;) BYEE!!!
Sounds good to me. Good luck! :good:

As mentioned, you have too many large fish for a small 20g tank. All creatures want to live and to you may look fine, but your fish are surviving rather than living well. You should either get a larger tank or re-home several of your fish. Big box pet stores most often will not take fish back unless purchased there, but you might find a Mom 'n Pop fish store that will take them once you explain the issue.

As mentioned, you have too many large fish for a small 20g tank. All creatures want to live and to you may look fine, but your fish are surviving rather than living well. You should either get a larger tank or re-home several of your fish. Big box pet stores most often will not take fish back unless purchased there, but you might find a Mom 'n Pop fish store that will take them once you explain the issue.
I agree

Most reactions

Back