I urgently need help with ich

Thnk u so much for reply....
Yes I did 2 50% water changes within 1 n a half day period..temp is 30c....water is well aerated....
Do u suggest me to shift the individual fish to a smaller bucket to treat it separately and treat the aquarium separately?
No, separation will cause more problems, especially in the absence of an established hospital tank.

Are you able to ascertain if the source water has nitrates and/ or ammonia? Is it from run-off well water or a treatment plant?

I agree with checking out the water source and parameters, particularly given your location as nitrate and ammonia can be too high there.
Yes water could b the problem...
I ll have to visit a bigger pet shop to get my water checked....
Till then do u suggest me to put the fish in a smaller tank with ro purified water?

No, separation will cause more problems, especially in the absence of an established hospital tank.

Are you able to ascertain if the source water has nitrates and/ or ammonia? Is it from run-off well water or a treatment plant?
Yes the water comes from municipality...from a treatment plant

Yes the water comes from municipality...from a treatment plant
We get water from 2 sources-the well water and the treated water...I use the treated water....still ai can't trust the water a 100% until I get the water parameters checked as it is u know the indian government treated water

Yes water could b the problem...
I ll have to visit a bigger pet shop to get my water checked....
Till then do u suggest me to put the fish in a smaller tank with ro purified water?
No. The change in parameters would kill them.

If you use the water from the treatment plant it should be reasonable. I'm assuming people are able to use it for drinking water?

No. The change in parameters would kill them.

If you use the water from the treatment plant it should be reasonable. I'm assuming people are able to use it for drinking water?
most people out here jus get an ro/uv filter for drinkin purposes but mostly use direct tap water for cooking....also I hv a tds meter at home which gives us reading of below 100(tap water) and also we get the buildin water tanks cleaned every 6 mnths.
P.S. the fish seems fairly active and he eating again too...I am going to some of the pet shops tht are a little away frm my appartment and hope to find some alternatives and suggestion( altho I don;t trust the pet shops completely)

most people out here jus get an ro/uv filter for drinkin purposes but mostly use direct tap water for cooking....also I hv a tds meter at home which gives us reading of below 100(tap water) and also we get the buildin water tanks cleaned every 6 mnths.
P.S. the fish seems fairly active and he eating again too...I am going to some of the pet shops tht are a little away frm my appartment and hope to find some alternatives and suggestion( altho I don;t trust the pet shops completely)
OK, do you use any additives or treatments in the tank water?

I use dechlorinator everytime I change the water... I am using a blue solution(probably methylene blue) and anti fungus(trypaflavin) as meds currently that my local shop provided me....

A little update guys/gals...the fish seems to be doing fine this morning...he is active again...he still has white spots on his fins tho.... I did a 50% water change yesterday evening...I ll be doing another one this afternoon...also I went to a fish store a little away from my home...got some more meds and some female orange tell guppies.....
P.S. a quick question...the guppies I got are like 4 times bigger the the males I have....why is that so?

A little update guys/gals...the fish seems to be doing fine this morning...he is active again...he still has white spots on his fins tho.... I did a 50% water change yesterday evening...I ll be doing another one this afternoon...also I went to a fish store a little away from my home...got some more meds and some female orange tell guppies.....
P.S. a quick question...the guppies I got are like 4 times bigger the the males I have....why is that so?
Keep up with the water changes, they appear to be working. Water quality is the single most important factor in fish health.

Do not add the medications, no disease has been identified. They often have side effects for the fish and/or the water quality.

Do not add more fish. Overstocking reduces water quality and encourages the spread of pathogens so, where there is already a concern, it endangers both the original fish and the new ones. Guppies breed prolificly and quickly overwhelm a tank.

Male guppies are smaller than females but not 4x smaller. Post pictures of the fish so someone can identify them for you.

Always keep in mind that stores only want to relieve you of your money. They are not interested in the long term health of your fish nor your success in the hobby.
Research any purchases beforehand and ask any questions on TFF rather than relying on store staff advice.

Keep up with the water changes, they appear to be working. Water quality is the single most important factor in fish health.

Do not add the medications, no disease has been identified. They often have side effects for the fish and/or the water quality.

Do not add more fish. Overstocking reduces water quality and encourages the spread of pathogens so, where there is already a concern, it endangers both the original fish and the new ones. Guppies breed prolificly and quickly overwhelm a tank.

Male guppies are smaller than females but not 4x smaller. Post pictures of the fish so someone can identify them for you.

Always keep in mind that stores only want to relieve you of your money. They are not interested in the long term health of your fish nor your success in the hobby.
Research any purchases beforehand and ask any questions on TFF rather than relying on store staff advice.
Thank you so much for the reply......
Yup I will continue to do water changes...
How long would you suggest me to continue the daily water changes and how often should I do water changes after discontinuing the daily water changes?
Ok I will add no more medications....I jus bought a reliable one and some salt jus in case...the salt packaging states it as crystal salt....I m not sure if it's non ionized...
Yup I too never trust the local pet shops...
I ll keep everyone updated...
Edit:I got these ones...the owner said these are the only females they have...

Attachments

• 20230305_165439.jpg
    20230305_165439.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
If the white spots aren't changing, are they on the fins, or on the rays that support the fins? Barbs can be rowdy, which is why we love them, but they do sometimes harm each other and that can result in cysts forming on the fin rays. It never seems to cause them on the softer tissue between the rays- that is often velvet or ich.
It's confusing, because the white spots from ich are also cysts. But they increase in numbers. Injury ones don't change, often for years.

Thank you so much for the reply......
Yup I will continue to do water changes...
How long would you suggest me to continue the daily water changes and how often should I do water changes after discontinuing the daily water changes?
Ok I will add no more medications....I jus bought a reliable one and some salt jus in case...the salt packaging states it as crystal salt....I m not sure if it's non ionized...
Yup I too never trust the local pet shops...
I ll keep everyone updated...
Edit:I got these ones...the owner said these are the only females they have...
Keep up the daily water changes for 2 weeks. If all is well then do weekly water changes going forward. You can also allow the temperature to go below 30.
The picture shows blonde red-tailed female guppies. One might have a bent spine? Which could indicate disease.
Keep us updated.

If the white spots aren't changing, are they on the fins, or on the rays that support the fins? Barbs can be rowdy, which is why we love them, but they do sometimes harm each other and that can result in cysts forming on the fin rays. It never seems to cause them on the softer tissue between the rays- that is often velvet or ich.
It's confusing, because the white spots from ich are also cysts. But they increase in numbers. Injury ones don't change, often for years.
Thnk u for the reply...
Yup the white spots doesn't seem to change much.....they jus appeared one day between the crest of the fins on the troughs, concentrated near where it attach to the body...also he is the one that gets beaten sometimes....none of the fish have the spots yet, active and eating. He is eating and active too...he was inactive for like 10 hours yesterday. But seems to be doing fine now..

Keep up the daily water changes for 2 weeks. If all is well then do weekly water changes going forward. You can also allow the temperature to go below 30.
The picture shows blonde red-tailed female guppies. One might have a bent spine? Which could indicate disease.
Keep us updated.
Ok I ll keep doin daily water changes for 2 weeks....
Yeah I an looking into the temperatures....it's the natural water temperatures out here....I even asked the sop owner about the temperatures...he said that it will be fine....I didn't expect much from it either....what do you guys suggest to reduce the temperatures...I was thinking about floating ice bags...is it the right thing to do?
I didn't even notice the bent spine..to me all of em looks similar(i.e. little s shaped) but one of them is not moving at all since she came in...one of them has a ripped tail fin....that's how much bad the conditions are here....this always makes me sad when I visit pet stores here....the situation is even worse...things that are bad seems normal to most people...
Yes definitely I will keep guys updated

Most reactions

Back