I Un-Cycled My 10 Gallon :-(

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I put in a second divider today. I wanted to check to make sure everything was fine before I put the fish in but seems like my ammonia and nitrites both went up (not super high but high enough) and my nirates went down (not that it's a bad thing). I still have the betta's in their containers. I haven't put them back in their tank. Should I wait over night or just add them slowly?? I'm really frustrated right now. I wanted to put a gap between them and it just seems like it's been a freaking headache. 

Sorry I forgot to add I did a big water change in the process. Figured it would help since they been having fin issues and help finish getting rid of any ich that might still be lurking in the tank. 

Sounds like a mini cycle.

Water changes every second day until you have no ammonia or nitrite. :)

I'd love to see some pics too :D

Blondielovesfish said:
Sounds like a mini cycle.

Water changes every second day until you have no ammonia or nitrite.
smile.png

I'd love to see some pics too
biggrin.png
Thanks! I put them back in the tank last night and did a water change today. Before the water change I tested the water and it is improving. Will test it again tomorrow and probably do daily water changes until it's back to normal. 

Here's a picture. I know the dividers aren't even and one fish has more room then the other. This was my second attempt with the DIY divider stuff. I don't think I'm going to do this again. I might start looking into getting two five gallons. It was a pain in the butt to get the dividers in the tank. 

1381793_10201571759308885_263323766_n.jpg

Looks good :)

I wish I'd thought of dividing mine that way with the filter/heater in the middle ...

Sounds like you stirred up the substrate quite a bit while moving things around which would account for the sudden ammonia/nitrIte spike.  Good thing to keep watch the levels though to be sure and keep up with the water changes.  This is a nice way to divide for two bettas and keep them fully separate from each other.  DIY dividers are not difficult if they are made and siliconed in before anything else is added.  When adding them after everything else is already in the tank it can be frustrating.  I do have a question. Why do you have a bubblestone in the tank?  If you are running a filter, there is no need for it.  

Wildbetta said:
Sounds like you stirred up the substrate quite a bit while moving things around which would account for the sudden ammonia/nitrIte spike.  Good thing to keep watch the levels though to be sure and keep up with the water changes.  This is a nice way to divide for two bettas and keep them fully separate from each other.  DIY dividers are not difficult if they are made and siliconed in before anything else is added.  When adding them after everything else is already in the tank it can be frustrating.  I do have a question. Why do you have a bubblestone in the tank?  If you are running a filter, there is no need for it.  
I like the bubbles in the tank. They look pretty. It doesn't seem to bug them unless the air flow is all the way up. When I took that picture I forgot to reduce air flow into the tank. I used the air pump to keep oxygen in the water for the filter media while I was trying to do all this (that is why the air flow was up). Cut up three, 2 liter soda bottles after I cleaned them to store the betta's in and the filter media while I did all this. 

Just a bit of an update though. The water is back to normal now and the betta's look happy. I did have a mishap where my little Kratos (blue betta) got into the middle part but I've fixed the issue. Still going to work on getting them in their own tanks. I think they would be much better off. 

Most reactions

Back