I Tried A New Product Superbac For Cycling And It Worked Great

suthcliff

Reaction score
I recently moved and had to establish a new tank for my cichlids. I didn’t want to wait or have time to do water changes or do the fishless cycle. Instead I went to the local aquarium store to see what other products were out there besides Bio Spira. I didn’t have any satisfying results with Bio Spira. It must have been bad or something. I also noticed Bios Spira didn’t have an expiration date on it so there you go. It was probably bad. Anyways the manager mentioned a product his store has been using for their tanks called Superbac by a company called Naturbac. I put 2 cichlids in on the second day to get the ammonia process started and by the 4th day I added the rest of my cichlids. 11 total.
It worked great. My tank still looks nice and it cycled This was within 5 days.
You might want to check it out.

Hmmm. Your first post abd your claiming an unfamiliar product. Is this a new kind of spam?

Or! maybe it did actually work......and he's being nice and passing the word.......you all have to face that people are going to do things, that you wouldnt.

maybe be happy that it did work and now he has a beautiful tank......geez...

I bet now He'll get a whole lotta bashing for not doing the fishless cycle? or a possible mini cycle when he adds fish.....

Or! maybe it did actually work......and he's being nice and passing the word.......you all have to face that people are going to do things, that you wouldnt.

maybe be happy that it did work and now he has a beautiful tank......geez...

I bet now He'll get a whole lotta bashing for not doing the fishless cycle? or a possible mini cycle when he adds fish.....

Dont get me wrong, if it works im all for it!! Does seem a bit odd though first post ........

I may be inexperienced in all this, but if a product worked so well, I'd be willing to try it next time I have to cycle a tank. It's worth a shot!

Well, I found this thread (among a few others) when I was running searches on the Superbac stuff. I went and got it and WOW. That's all I can say. Well, WOW for two reasons. WOW it really smells bad, WOW I cycled my 90 gallon reef set up in 3 days... and even with an 80 gallon dose. Cycled up a buddy's bio-cube to see if it wasn't a fluke and same result.

Pretty bitchin' if this does this all the time. Anyway, just wanted to drop a line to say the guy that started this thread isn't crazy.

Just because you're new to the site doesn't mean you're new to fishkeeping, and wanting to pass along some good products is helpful to the rest of usno matter how many previous posts there have been.

Wow, the freshwater stuff must be great. What with it containing Nitrosomonas spp bacteria when scientific research on established aquaira shows that Nitrosomonas spp are virtually non present, but instead Nitrospira spp does the work (note where Bio-Spira gets it name?).

Something tells me I will be very wary of this product. Not to mention wary of the very poor attempt at advert spam by the OP.

Wow, the freshwater stuff must be great. What with it containing Nitrosomonas spp bacteria when scientific research on established aquaira shows that Nitrosomonas spp are virtually non present, but instead Nitrospira spp does the work (note where Bio-Spira gets it name?).

Something tells me I will be very wary of this product. Not to mention wary of the very poor attempt at advert spam by the OP.

I'm not spam thank you. And if the first post of the thread is spam then I'm glad it got spammed because it made me go this direction with Super Bac.

I researched the nitrospira because I was trying to decide on Bio-Spira or the Super Bac stuff my LFS guy swears by. I live in Orange, CA and go to Coral and Fish Center in Santa Ana for coral. They sold me on it and it did exactly what they said. Check it out if you like.

And nitrosomonas is present in Bio-Spira. Read a little closer. What isn't present in Bio-Spira is nitrobacter and they should probably put it in there because it put a hurtin' on my nitrite. It was real fun to watch. I have to point out that in my research I didn't find any literature on "nitrospira" that wasn't cited from Dr. Hovanic (Marineland chief scientist) or his team. This screams of just trying to patent something.

Also, Bio-Spira is pathetic in an ammonia/nitrite spike situation. Totally worthless. Super Bac does that too.

Based on my conclusion from reading the research and using the bacteria myself I can only conclude that Marineland's scientists really want you to believe nitrobacter doesn't work so you'll buy their patented product or they are just flat-out wrong, which they should admit their error and call it a day. No research paper in the world will tell me that the Super Bac stuff didn't do what I saw it do.

I'm not spam thank you.

Touchy! I never accused you, I accused the Origianl Poster. Methinks you do protest too much, n'est ce pas? ;)

And if the first post of the thread is spam then I'm glad it got spammed because it made me go this direction with Super Bac.

Good for you. Most people on this forum don't like spam advert posts.

And nitrosomonas is present in Bio-Spira. Read a little closer. What isn't present in Bio-Spira is nitrobacter and they should probably put it in there because it put a hurtin' on my nitrite. It was real fun to watch. I have to point out that in my research I didn't find any literature on "nitrospira" that wasn't cited from Dr. Hovanic (Marineland chief scientist) or his team. This screams of just trying to patent something.

Apologies if I put the wrong bacteria. Fact is though, peer reviewed scientific research shows that Superbac does not contain the correct bacteria strains that are found in cycled tanks.

If it was purely just to patent, and both the bacteria found in Superbac really are important, the research of Dr Hovanic would not have passed the peer review phase of publication. It did clear the peer review and therefore it can be considered to be more accurate than some sales pitch on a website.

Also, Bio-Spira is pathetic in an ammonia/nitrite spike situation. Totally worthless. Super Bac does that too.

Of course it does. No doubt it makes me a cup of tea in the morning and washes the car. I assume you have some controlled experiments to back this up?

Based on my conclusion from reading the research and using the bacteria myself I can only conclude that Marineland's scientists really want you to believe nitrobacter doesn't work so you'll buy their patented product or they are just flat-out wrong, which they should admit their error and call it a day. No research paper in the world will tell me that the Super Bac stuff didn't do what I saw it do.

Any chance that there is a research paper that does tell you and the rest of us that Super Bac does what it says? See, the way science works is this:

You make a claim, you back it up with evidence.

It does not work how you have just applied above where you are making the claim and demanding science prove it wrong.

Fianlly, forgive me if I am wrong, but you used the saltwater version, and I was commenting on the freshwater version. Have you used the FW one as well, did you keep detailed notes and compare it to a control tank? Do you have peer reviewed research to back up your claims about how Biospira doesn't work as well as Superbac (despite there being peer reviewed published articles pointing out Super Bac in the FW form contains the wrong bacteria)?

If so I would love for you to post it here so I can look into this. Until then I will believe Dr Hovanic as he does have a lot of credibility to him with his work.

However, your last statemenst shows that no matter how much scientific evidence is provided you will not believe it, so I daresay you will not be presenting the things I have requested above.

You know, the ferocity with which you attack Biospira makes me wonder... You don't perchance happen to work for anyone or anything to do with Superbac do you? :D

Edit--

Just done a quick search, and it is not just Dr Hovanic that has done work on nitrospira and its use in oxidising nitrite as the below papers will attest:

Altmann, Dorte, Peter Stief, Rudolf Amann, Dirk de Beer, and Andreas Schramm. 2003. "In situ distribution and activity of nitrifying bacteria in freshwater sediment." Environmental Microbiology, vol. 5, no. 9. Society for Applied Microbiology. (798-803).

Daims, Holger, Jeppe L. Nielsen, Per H. Nielsen, Karl-Heinz Schleifer, and Michael Wagner. 2001. "In situ characterization of Nitrospira-like nitrite-oxidizing bacteria active in wastwater treatment plants." App Environ Microbiol, vol. 67, no. 11. American Society for Microbiology. (5273-5284)

Kim DJ, Lee DI, Keller J.Effect of temperature and free ammonia on nitrification and nitrite accumulation in landfill leachate and analysis of its nitrifying bacterial community by FISH. Bioresource technology. 2005 May 28.

And this website reveals that the original discovery of the importance of Nitrospira was not made by Dr Hovanic:

Only recently, cultivation-independent methods revealed that novel, yet uncultured NOB are far more important than Nitrobacter in wastewater treatment plants (Burrell et al., 1998; Juretschko et al., 1998; Schramm et al., 1998). These bacteria belong to the genus Nitrospira, which is part of the bacterial phylum Nitrospirae (Ehrich et al., 1995), and are not related to Nitrobacter.

Now then, perhaps you would like to show me how the nitrobacter is so useful when more than just one or two people have done research into nitrospira?

There are so many debates about fishless cycling on TFF. Why doesn't someone get hold of 3 small tanks and 3 identical filters and try out some of these products to see if any of them are any good or not. Its hardly high level chemistry and could be carried out very easily. Not once have I managed to find any reseach where different cycling products were tested alongside each other and then a tank stocked at the end to see how new fish faired.

:good:

There are so many debates about fishless cycling on TFF. Why doesn't someone get hold of 3 small tanks and 3 identical filters and try out some of these products to see if any of them are any good or not. Its hardly high level chemistry and could be carried out very easily. Not once have I managed to find any reseach where different cycling products were tested alongside each other and then a tank stocked at the end to see how new fish faired.

:good:

Here's a great test for Super Bac and I encourage anyone to try it:

Get a 20 gallon tank. Put in 5 black mollies. Feed them. 4 hours later dump in a half 16oz bottle of Super Bac freshwater. On day 3 fill up your aquarium. On day 4 take ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels and post it here.

Ready! Set! Go!

I'm not spam thank you.

Touchy! I never accused you, I accused the Origianl Poster. Methinks you do protest too much, n'est ce pas? ;)

And if the first post of the thread is spam then I'm glad it got spammed because it made me go this direction with Super Bac.

Good for you. Most people on this forum don't like spam advert posts.

Apologies if I put the wrong bacteria. Fact is though, peer reviewed scientific research shows that Superbac does not contain the correct bacteria strains that are found in cycled tanks.

If it was purely just to patent, and both the bacteria found in Superbac really are important, the research of Dr Hovanic would not have passed the peer review phase of publication. It did clear the peer review and therefore it can be considered to be more accurate than some sales pitch on a website.

Of course it does. No doubt it makes me a cup of tea in the morning and washes the car. I assume you have some controlled experiments to back this up?

Any chance that there is a research paper that does tell you and the rest of us that Super Bac does what it says? See, the way science works is this:

You make a claim, you back it up with evidence.

It does not work how you have just applied above where you are making the claim and demanding science prove it wrong.

Fianlly, forgive me if I am wrong, but you used the saltwater version, and I was commenting on the freshwater version. Have you used the FW one as well, did you keep detailed notes and compare it to a control tank? Do you have peer reviewed research to back up your claims about how Biospira doesn't work as well as Superbac (despite there being peer reviewed published articles pointing out Super Bac in the FW form contains the wrong bacteria)?

If so I would love for you to post it here so I can look into this. Until then I will believe Dr Hovanic as he does have a lot of credibility to him with his work.

However, your last statemenst shows that no matter how much scientific evidence is provided you will not believe it, so I daresay you will not be presenting the things I have requested above.

You know, the ferocity with which you attack Biospira makes me wonder... You don't perchance happen to work for anyone or anything to do with Superbac do you? :D

Edit--

Just done a quick search, and it is not just Dr Hovanic that has done work on nitrospira and its use in oxidising nitrite as the below papers will attest:

Altmann, Dorte, Peter Stief, Rudolf Amann, Dirk de Beer, and Andreas Schramm. 2003. "In situ distribution and activity of nitrifying bacteria in freshwater sediment." Environmental Microbiology, vol. 5, no. 9. Society for Applied Microbiology. (798-803).

Daims, Holger, Jeppe L. Nielsen, Per H. Nielsen, Karl-Heinz Schleifer, and Michael Wagner. 2001. "In situ characterization of Nitrospira-like nitrite-oxidizing bacteria active in wastwater treatment plants." App Environ Microbiol, vol. 67, no. 11. American Society for Microbiology. (5273-5284)

Kim DJ, Lee DI, Keller J.Effect of temperature and free ammonia on nitrification and nitrite accumulation in landfill leachate and analysis of its nitrifying bacterial community by FISH. Bioresource technology. 2005 May 28.

And this website reveals that the original discovery of the importance of Nitrospira was not made by Dr Hovanic:

Only recently, cultivation-independent methods revealed that novel, yet uncultured NOB are far more important than Nitrobacter in wastewater treatment plants (Burrell et al., 1998; Juretschko et al., 1998; Schramm et al., 1998). These bacteria belong to the genus Nitrospira, which is part of the bacterial phylum Nitrospirae (Ehrich et al., 1995), and are not related to Nitrobacter.

Now then, perhaps you would like to show me how the nitrobacter is so useful when more than just one or two people have done research into nitrospira?

Okay, I've got you down for "immaculate conception" then on how my reef cycled in 3 days. That's a bold stance, but to each their own. Maybe the tooth fairy brought me my bacteria colony? NOOO! Santa did!

Okay, I've got you down for "immaculate conception" then on how my reef cycled in 3 days. That's a bold stance, but to each their own. Maybe the tooth fairy brought me my bacteria colony? NOOO! Santa did!

Let's see... reef colony. Would you per chance have Live Rock? If so that is the most likely source of the bacteria. That is why no one really cycles with live rock.

See, all 4 of the SW tanks I have set up now have cycled inside of 3 days with Live Rock. And I didn't need superbac, or any other additives to my tank, the LR had everything I needed.

Also, have you not noticed what I was talking about?

Look at my first post:

Wow, the freshwater stuff must be great

You keep missing it, so I will put the important bit in bold:

Wow, the freshwater stuff must be great

See, FRESHWATER. I wasn't talking of the marine stuff. I never once referred to your tank, but pointed out that Superbac 's FW product is based on out of date science (about 20 years out of date from the research I did).

I also assume by your lack of posting any sort of the evidence (as I requestsed) to back up your statements about the lack of Nitrospira spp in Superbac not being a fatal flaw in the product that you can't back up your statements, despite claiming to have done research.

Most reactions

Back