I think my blackskirt tetra might be pregnant

Sylvia27

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi:

I have a blackskirt tetra whose abdomen is getting really big.
I think she might be pregnant and I want to be prepared just in case.
What am I supposed to do if I find babies in the tank one day?
I read somewhere I should separate them and put the babies in a breeding tank.

Any advice?

Maybe this belongs to the breeding board, but I'm still a beginner...

You could buy a breeder net that will hang from the front of your tank. You also want to buy a fry net. The holes on your regular one will be too big.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1092489793335

Sorry, I know nothing about breeding tetras or raising their fry.

What temp is your tank at? :dunno:

I would assume you would want it at about 78 - 80F.

To increase their chance for survival, you will need lots of hiding places. Clumps of java moss work well.

The first thing I fed my swordtail and krib fry was called First Bites by Hikari. It's only about $3.00 for a pack, so it can't hurt to have some just incase.

http://www.hikariusa.com/first_bites.htm

If you have any specific questions, I'd recommend posting in the breeder section. You will find many knowledgeable members there who have experience breeding tetras. :nod:

Good luck! :)

Whats a Blackskirt Tetra?
I've heard of a Black Widow Tetra and a Black Neon Tetra but not a Blackskirt Tetra :huh:

Tetras don't get 'pregnant' but are egglayers. They often spawn in shoals or pairs and normally drop the eggs in the plants or on the gravel early in the morning.
They will eat their own eggs. Your female may just have had a large meal or is mature. Tetras can be quite difficult to breed sometimes and don't often spawn in the community tank :sad:

Are her scales sticking out, like a pine cone?

i agree, blackskirt tetras are egglayers, coudl she be consipated?

btw the pic isnt' showing :blink:

The only way I was able to put a picture in my message is by putting a link. So, if you click on it, you will see her.

About constipation, how do I take care of that? :rolleyes:

Sylvia

Most reactions

Back