I Think My Betta Is Sick... Please Help

gigi92

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to fish forums and don't know much at all. I've had my very first betta, Dennis, for two weeks. At first he seemed happy but after a couple of days he seemed lethargic and not interested in eating. Most of the time he just stays right below the surface by the edge of the bowl. Every time I give him a pellet he ignores it, by now he hasn't eaten for four or five days. He doesn't look bloated to me but maybe I'm unable to tell (see photo)... I've read about giving him a bath in aquarium salt solution or Epsom salts, should I do that? If yes, how long should he stay in the bath and how much salt should I put in there? Please give me some advice, I don't know what to do. Thank you!

Attachments

• dennis 11-30.jpg
    dennis 11-30.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 28
In my past experience I've noticed that if my bettas were lethargic and hanging at the surface, their water quality was not good. I would do a water change.. and I would also think about upgrading to at least a 3 gallon filtered and heated tank. :D
He's a very pretty guy! I hope he snaps out of it.

I'm betting you don;t have a water test kit? And presumably you don't have a filter since he's in a bowl not tank.

It's likely he's ill because your water has toxic levels of ammonia because you don't have a cycled filter in there. First thing to do is change as much water as you can (80-90%, replace with dechlorinated, warm water), then you'll need to be doing water changes every day if you plan on keeping him in a bowl, as they;re really not a suitable environment for any fish.

He could really do with a heater as well (unless you live in a tropical country)

Thank you for the replies. I will do a daily water change and get a heater, then see if he improves. I don't really have much room for a tank but I'll explore the option. Thanks again :)

Thank you for the replies. I will do a daily water change and get a heater, then see if he improves. I don't really have much room for a tank but I'll explore the option. Thanks again :)

That should perk him up hopefully :)

Since you're only keeping a single betta you could go for a 3 or 5 gallon tank, which would only be about 12 inches wide, which should be fairly easy to fit anywhere like a desk, bedside table, etc. But then you'd be able to have a filter which will save you the effort of changing water every day and help to keep him happy and healthy :)

I keep mine in 3g tanks with a heater only. I do water changes every other day, but I test for ammonia daily and sometimes do water changes daily. To keep a betta in an unfiltered tank if going to be some work for you, so I hope you have 15 minutes a day to commit. The good think is, my 3g tanks do not take up any more room that the standard little bowls they sell for bettas.

Today I bought a 2.5 g tank with filter. It's true, it hardly takes more space than the bowl and it looks pretty with the light. I just put Dennis in there half an hour ago since it said to wait a few hours to put the fish in the tank after its filled with water. He looks happier already and is swimming around much more than I've seen him lately. I dropped a pellet and he still hasn't eaten, but hopefully he will after he gets used to his new environment. Thank you and I will keep you posted.

There is probably nothing wrong with the fish. He is just bored. The bowl is too small for him and there is just no place for him to hide and explore.
When they don't feel safe they tend to get inactive, like they just has given up.

Most reactions

Back