I think i've mastered the platie breeding

bigfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi

I've noticed that 1 of my blue mickey mouse platies could be pregnant but i'm not entirely sure, she is a abit plump around her belly area more than the other platies that i have in my tank.

Could anyone give me any other pointers on pregnant platies.

Do they have a gravid spot like guppies? and is the gesturation period the same to?

Bigfish, I have a pair of Tuxedo Platys and when they get pregnant the look as if they are going to explode. It is very difficult to see the gravid spot on mine since they have black on them where it should be.
As far as how long, Mine are pretty close to being the 28 days give or take but it can go as long as 40 or so I have read

Les

:thumbs: Got my finger's & toes crossed for ya bigfish...I know you have been waitin' for them babies! Lots of Luck keep us posted :D

I have been trying to get my Platies to get jiggy wid' it for ages but because I have Neon Tetras in the tank, I can't add aquarium salt and I think this is necessary for Platies to decide to breed :-(

I dont seem to have any problems breeding my red wagtail platys, my male is always after the females and I have no salt in my tank because I have corys.

My ph is usually around 7.5

As for spotting when they are pregnant I have found that to be easy - they get really really fat but so far I have been unable to spot when they have 'dropped' as I tend to feed the others a little bit more around the time the fry are expected to give them a little better chance of survival. ^_^

My male is well into the sex bit now just caught him chasing all the females around!!!! (naughty boy) so could have more than 1 batch of platies. they can go with my baby guppies too (next batch still havent arrived :( )

Just in case you didnt know Bigfish, after getting together and doing the fishy thing the female can store away sperm for up to three batches of fry.....so if she gives birth then you better plan on at least a couple of months worth of babies.....lol

Les

good luck on your platie breeding. I have one red, need to get him a buddy or buddette, he seems to hang with my 3 sword tails (2 male 1 female)and 1 tequila sunrise guppy though. ive never thought about breeding though. I would need a different tank.. tetras and a 3 inch clown loach are also tank mates.

To answer Kryten's question, Platties like to have lots of algae as part of their diet. Combination of algae, live foods and warmer temperature will get them to breed quite easily. Definitely is the case in my tank ;) :D

Not just algae, vegetables such as zucchinni and cucumber both go down well, blanch them first to make them more eatable and the fish will tear into them even faster! You can even try shelled peas!! The cucumber and zuchini may cloud your water if left in for a long time but any clouding will only be temporary :) ;) and will soon disappear :thumbs:

William is right on the money there, they love their cucumbers......the even like to nibble on romain lettuce. Its not uncommon to to see half my tank munching on this stuff. In my tank they have always had access to algae discs and it wasnt until I started to add frozen brine shrimp and cucumbers that they started comming up pregnant..lol

Les

From what I have seen these clips do work.....but honestly I just do up a couple of cucumber slices and toss them in. The platys, swords, and even my big ole pleco come to the top and munch away. I did get some clips,I just havent gotten around to putting them in....lol

I got 15 babies and more due any day......and the momma that gave birth to the 15 is getting fat again.....lol so I may have to give a few away....lol
The tuxedo platys are cute though

Les

I put a veggie clip in , Platies went nuts! Moly's were a little more reserved about it but I think that was because the platy's were crazy lol

Most reactions

Back