I Think Its Time.......:( Edit - He's Gone :(

Surely the CO2 / alcasaltza method is nothing short of asphyxiation and potentially quite cruel?

Surely freezing vodka would be the best of both worlds as it will remain liquid in any home freezer?

Having never tried it, but going by the reasonably glowing recommendations on this site, the clove oil method seems to be the fairest. I have read several threads today (in case I ever have to do this) and the clove oil method seems to be the fairest. If the testimonies are true, the fish involved literally falls asleep, under no panic or stress, and never wakes up.

Having said that, the cold water (I didn't even use icy water!!) method seems just as instant. I have done water changes on a sick tank of fish, and although I used dechlorinator, the colder water going in caused 4 rasboras to literally just belly up instantly and never move again (I was as green in this hobby as a 2 inch thick algae coated tank at the time). So, although I have read some rather alarming reports from people on the ice water method, in my VERY limited experience, it seems a valid way of handling this problem.

I did wonder though, car anti-freeze will lower the temp of water quite a way below 0c, and remain liquid, and is quite toxic too to humans, so surely it would be incredibly lethal to smaller fish? Any experts have any comment on that?

To the OP, I would feel personally that it is better to do something however unpleasant it may be sooner rather than wait for an acceptable method to come along only for it to be too late, it would save the poor fish some degree of suffering in the long term.

Like I said, these are just my thoughts, not authoratitive advice.

EDIT: Before anyone jumps all over me about my comment regarding the rasbora incident, firstly I was (and am) NOT proud of it, and secondly the water wasn't especially cold, it was a 40% water change with the heater on and the water was approx 28c in the tank, and approx 15c going in. Yes I now know the water going in should have matched the tank, but like I said I was incredibly naive when this happened and I now regret it.

thought i better update this morning. i went to go with the ice water method but chickened out after reading the thread and comments. i got so wound up i went to bed, deciding to let mother nature make the desicion for me. cruel? possibly, but the cowards way out.

got up this morning - he's swimming round! not perfect but better than yesterday. i dont know what to think??

he'll never get better, he has some sort of unidentified lump inside him, there is another thread about it somewhere, its just a matter of realising when the time is right?

i guess i have some time today to search around for clove oil though?

Dont read this if you are upset about the processes involved in culling a pet betta. This is purely advice from experience/readings, nothing more

Spishkey.... it's a bummer. Don't start thinking that your witness of a fish spiraling downward in the water is a fish that is going to survive after such obvious signs of problems.

Try to get clove oil.... it is not "cruel" to let nature take it's course, but you can certainly end the inevitable suffering. Hanging on and watching worse things happen isn't healthy nor reasonable.

If you can get clove oil, it is simple (more so than depicted in this thread). I have used this method a couple of times. A few diluted drops into a small container - cover with a cloth. After a few minutes the fish is 'numbed'. progressively add more drops until 'knocked out'. After this, be very liberal with the clove oil to reach a fatal dose. Cover the container between, as fish are calmed when not placed in direct light. process takes no more than 10 minutes and is the 'easiest'. Nothing violent..... *warning, the betta may twitch upon initial introduction of clove oil, this is due to nerve reactions and the betta losing control of bodily functions.... no pain*

Nothing more than flushing needs to be done. As far as I'm concerned, the fish is NOT coming back to life and a fully paralyzed and sedated fish will slowly die with the chlorine content MANY MANY hours before coming to any sort of 'consciousness'.

I would imagine that slowly adding alcohol (drips) may have a similar effect. ..... no experience, but it seems plausible.

oh remz i know he will never get better i just dont know when the time is right to do the bad deed? i thought yesterday but today he looks nearly normal? how do you know when to do it??

well he's gone. i used the iced water with a hefty splash of vodka. it was over in seconds. i had to do it he was suffering.

RIP buddy :(

sorry for your loss...you did what was best as hard as it may be to accept.
cheers!

:unsure: Spish you tried everything you could and in the end this was what was best for him sorry for your loss

feeling rather down today. in total i lost three fish yesterday :( it was a bad day for my hobby.

have just took down Fish's tank, i wont be getting another betta for a while, maybe after we move i'll feel up to it.

i still feel so very guilty

:-(

Most reactions

Back