I Think I'am Doing Something Wrong [help Please]

babyblade

Reaction score
i've been reading and learning about keeping fish for about a month now. but only recently got myself some little wet pets and as much as i try to learn, I STILL don't understand the meaning or what i'am suppost to do when people talk about the cycle of my tank,could someboby help me out in layman terms of what i should be doing or should have started to do already. :huh: :huh: :huh: PS please just so you all don't think i'am being cruel,all my fish are healthy and happy and are swiming around having fun so no worries as yet. :look: :nod: :-(

right well the cycle is what happens when bacteria turns ammonia into nitrite then another bacteria turns it into nitrate. Your cycle is complete when you test your water for all 3 and ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and the nitrates are at around 30.

So now you already have fish in there you have two options:

1) the kindest would be to give the fish back to the fish shop/friend and start a fishless cycle

2) do daily water changes to make sure the ammonia and nitrite levels dont get too high.

Ammonia is created from rotting food and fish poo. If you can buy an API water test kit, usually around £20 but will test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph/high range ph

I'm sorry to have to tell you that your fish won't be swimming around happy for much longer. Take them back and cycle your tank. I have had my fish now for 5 months and no deaths. You must cycle the tank to avoid deaths

Well it is true that you need to get your tank cycled asap. However, if your fish are fine now and your keeping up with maintenance, you should be fine until your cycle is complete. Basically fish waste creates ammonia and nitrites. The good bacteria in your tanks filter media turn ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. Ammonia and nitrites are deadly in low quantities. You can use the api kit which was recommended to check your levels. When you stop getting ammonia and nitrite readings and only nitrate readings, your tank is cycled. From this point, you just do water changes however often is necesary to keep your nitrates at a level that is acceptable for your fish.

Well it is true that you need to get your tank cycled asap. However, if your fish are fine now and your keeping up with maintenance, you should be fine until your cycle is complete. Basically fish waste creates ammonia and nitrites. The good bacteria in your tanks filter media turn ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. Ammonia and nitrites are deadly in low quantities. You can use the api kit which was recommended to check your levels. When you stop getting ammonia and nitrite readings and only nitrate readings, your tank is cycled. From this point, you just do water changes however often is necesary to keep your nitrates at a level that is acceptable for your fish.

thanks will check levels today,by water changes what % of water should be changed i presume not all of it :good: :good:

25% perweek does seem to be the magic number a lot of people use. In reality the number is completely different for different people. Your main goal with routine water changes is to lower nitrate levels. If your tank is understocked and heavily planted you MAY be able to do small water changes once a month. If your tank is overstocked and has no live plants you MAY need to change 50% daily. My oscar tank gets 40% a week and 60% at the end of every month. I have one small very heavily planted guppy tank that gets a 40% change once per month is all.

I'd start with 25% once a week and see if that keeps your nitrates under control.

Most reactions

Back