I think Bettas are a beautiful interesting fish

silver

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
All the LFS or WALMARTS :no: :sly: :X :grr: will tell you that a simple bowl is fine for a betta. Is this true, or do they really need a filter and heater as well??? I can only assume they would, but no one ever tells you that....I guess it is common sense and maybe I just answered my own question!?? :*)

Silver
:*

well i know that betta's have a special gland that lets them breathe air from the surface if the water conditions are bad.........but surely if the water conditions are bad then thats cruel to the fish....maybe they think ppl change the water every day :crazy: silly ppl

id have thought that they needed heated water too

siamese fighting fish are tropical fish and i think that they last longer in tropical water. i would add a filter and that would oxigenate the water i think

I don't know that ALL will do that. maybe all walmarts but I have a LFS in my area that will only sell you a betta if it is going in a filtered tank. the vast majority will tell you that a little bowl is fine though. it is very poor treatment of the fish.

It's really not true. Here's more information on this wonderful breed. I am by far not an expert but I am a member of a betta comminity much like this one but only dedicated to bettas called Healthy Betta.

www.healthybetta.com

For Rent--Small Efficiency Vase
By: Crystal, Healthy Betta

It is true that bettas, especially the male, have a tendency to be a tad bit territorial. They will fight with other fish and do better alone. This does not mean they need no space.

The lily vase setup only holds approximately one half gallon of water. To maintain a happy betta, you will want to make sure they have at least one gallon of swim space. Just because he is territorial does not mean he cannot be territorial of more space than the vase. In fact, I have seen people move their betta from a lily vase setup into a larger vase and the betta is notably more happy - swimming laps. They seem to flare more and start making bigger bubble nests.

From my personal experience, 2 gallons or more is ideal for the betta. In college I maintained a 10 gallon tank with just a betta and plecostomus! Charlie was a very happy fishy!

The lily vase is just too small. The betta does not have enough room to exercise or prance around all flared out. They generally just lay within the roots of the plant with their fins closed.

Yes, the betta could even survive in the little cups at the store for the rest of their life - but would you enjoy living in a one room apartment for the rest of yours?

Thanks,
I knew that they did...I just wanted to make sure! I most definitley will buy a 5 gallon if I ever decide to get a Betta, can you have a male and female together? Can you have some Cory's down on the bottom?

Silver
:*

Hi Silver,

I have heard you can keep a female and male together in the same tank, but once they've mated, layed eggs, fertilized them or whatever they do you have to remove one of them. But I'm not sure if it's the female or the male. Your not supposed to have two males together cause they fight. I don't know about two females. :p

It's not advisable to keep a male and female in the same tank. The male will most probably kill the female. They should only be together for spawning and once that's over, immediately separated again. It's the male that looks after the eggs. Females can be kept together with no problem.

this guy is gonna beat me up if he ever sees me i have probably sent just about everyone on earth to this breeding advice page because its the best ive seen breeding betas (fighting fish) its the female that you have to remove as she strts to eat the fry and the male is ultra protective of his fry and wil do his best to stop anything from eating the fry this might involve killing the female. as far as i know tho my female did not get killed while i was away come back to find a complete buble nest and the female eating the eggs. anyway thats as much info as i could think of

Most reactions

Back