I Still Have A Few More Questions!

Imcanadieneh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I found a great 20 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. I have been researching breeding so I think im going to begin the process sometime late next week. possibly. Well I'm going to start the conditioning. Anyways one of the questions i have is, what temp shoudl the water be at for best resuts. The heater says no need for a thermometer because it automatically heats the water to 78 as soon as it drops below it. I have read 74-82ish works. Is 78 ok? How many hiding places for the female should I have. Most of the things I have read just say a few. Is three ok or four? Anyways thank you all for the advice i have already recieved and I will be asking for more throught the whole process. O i plan on breeding my VT sam my male "pink with metallic blue fins" with midnight my felame CT "solid black all over" i'm so excited to see the babies in a few weeks!

You want the temperature between 78-82F.
It is always a good idea to have a thermometer in the tank with the heater. Some of the cheaper heaters will not be very accurate when it comes to holding the temperature at what they are set on. They might be a few degrees higher or lower. Get a thermometer that sits in the tank.

You can have as many hiding places as you like. Floating plants like water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) are good for hiding and for the male to build the nest in. Other plants in the gravel are also useful in providing the female with some cover. If you don't have a light on the tank then you can use artificial plants.

Have an air operated sponge filter in the tank. You want it bubbling away gently so it doesn't create too much surface turbulence. Having lots of floating plants will reduce the surface turbulence and allow the filter to bubble more without upsetting the male.

I don't put a filter in my tank until after the fry are 2 weeks old. Also- you have to condition the two in separate tanks. It sounded as if you wanted to put them together from the start...that's a no go for sure. IMO, more reading needs to be done.

I don't put a filter in my tank until after the fry are 2 weeks old. Also- you have to condition the two in separate tanks. It sounded as if you wanted to put them together from the start...that's a no go for sure. IMO, more reading needs to be done.
kind of my thoughts as well.

canadien - did you consider what you are going to do with all of the fry like i suggested?

O i have homes for all o the fry once they grow up. Well at leaset for 35ish of them if I get that many. The rest I will keep. Anyways I know that you can't just put them together they have to be conditioned for a while then the female needs to be introduced like I said I have been reading bout this for a while now. I just had mostly a question about the temp which I got answered

O i have homes for all o the fry once they grow up. Well at leaset for 35ish of them if I get that many. The rest I will keep. Anyways I know that you can't just put them together they have to be conditioned for a while then the female needs to be introduced like I said I have been reading bout this for a while now. I just had mostly a question about the temp which I got answered
cool :good:. we just want to make sure that things work out for you.

Just don't rush into it before you're ready. Best of luck!

So when I got my new tank today they gave my five guppies with it. Its 20 gallons with heater filter plants gravel everything that it need to breed it has a nice filter and all the chemicals to keep the water up. Anyways how big do guppies get because i don't really want them but their cute and I was wondering if I could put them in my 1 gallon tank? and if not would i be able to put m betta in with them?

guppies dont get big.

but you absolutely cannot keep them in a 1 gallon. not feasible at all. And no, you cannot put a betta in with them, they weill attack the guppies.

Most reactions

Back