I need help

This is not within the normal range. The only acceptable levels for ammonia and nitrite are zero. However, if nitrite really is 5, I would have expected all the fish to have died.

What species? Catfish covers many species of different types.

Several members have reported problems with catfish such as corydoras with this substrate. In these cases, the substrate granules eroded their barbels allowing infection to take hold. If your catfish were cories, did they show signs of such erosion before they died?
i did have cories and sorry cant remember the type of catfish, i just know they were small and were going to stay small, reason i got them, my last catfish got super big in that tank and was not going to last for the size of the tank he also died, which started this whole process, i thought since he was so big he was killing off the lil ones,
nope new ones gone too,

This is not within the normal range. The only acceptable levels for ammonia and nitrite are zero. However, if nitrite really is 5, I would have expected all the fish to have died.

Several members have reported problems with catfish such as corydoras with this substrate. In these cases, the substrate granules eroded their barbels allowing infection to take hold. If your catfish were cories, did they show signs of such erosion before they died?

i would not know what erosion would look like, anything i should see on them, ?

i would not know what erosion would look like, anything i should see on them, ?

Erosion is a gradual wasting away of the barbels on the underside of the catfish's mouth. There are two things here. Rough substrate can do this, especially if it is gravel and not sand. Food gets down in the gravel, and the cories naturally feed by sifting the substrate through their gills, which they cannot do with gravel, and they sort of tear the barbels trying to get at the food. But there is also a bacterial issue from the food in the gravel, and the cories sloughing off their barbels. Corydoras catfish should absolutely never be maintained over anything but soft sand. The substrate fish showing the first signs of this suggests it is a bacterial issue. I'm not saying it is, just it could be, because it is spreading.

Most reactions

Back