I Must Be Doing Something Right.... I Hope

Tuxyu3

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Before you begin reading i must apologise for the absolutely unforgivable state of my tank, i really need to do something about the algae and i know i should be more thorough and regular about cleaning it but i've been ill so i'm afraid thats just the way it is. I also must apologise for my god-awful camera skills (if you were hoping for decent pictures then turn back now), in my defence it is a really rubbish camera.

First up i feel i should share a picture of my Harlequins doing their thing, i've noticed they seem to be either fighting for dominance or mating recently(locking their dorsal fins and having stand-offs with each-other), nothing too serious though. They seem plump and happy enough to me:

SAM_0683_zpsc8bb0400.jpg

SAM_0682_zps5d22c640.jpg

SAM_0660_zps386aeaef.jpg

SAM_0659_zps2c5ff153.jpg

SAM_0692_zpsc1e32f92.jpg

Again, sorry for the awful photographs.

One of my two surviving Killi's:

SAM_0664_zpse50da597.jpg

They are both male and the other is in my 125 litre, i'm well aware he may not work long-term in this tank but he's ok for now while i figure out what to do with him if he turns bad.

Mr Whippy just chillin' and doing his thing:

SAM_0661_zps775ba603.jpg

SAM_0662_zpse33b1db3.jpg

The King and his Queens have extreme cases of camera shyness, not quite on par with the Zebra Danio's (though to be honest they're not shy, just too fast for me) but definitely getting there:

SAM_0687_zps170d7c70.jpg

SAM_0688_zps961938ab.jpg

SAM_0689_zps1c2d3691.jpg

SAM_0686_zpscf2b1929.jpg

This is literally the best picture of a Danio i could get:

SAM_0693_zpscf738ee5.jpg

They're like some kind of mystical, underwater Bigfoot in as much as i swear they exist but only ever get blurry photographs of them, they are more than happy to ruin everybody else's photographs though.....

Does this look like somewhere you could live?:

SAM_0663_zps8f80db61.jpg

The reason i ask is because i know somebody who can both survive and thrive in there. I haven't done my filter cleaning for over a month now but when i finally opened it up i found this little guy flopping around inside:

SAM_0657_zps45c2e626.jpg

SAM_0658_zps8653165b.jpg

In this awful photograph you can see him (well, just about make him out) next to one of his (possible) relatives:

SAM_0679_zps2251cc1a.jpg

And here he is on the open range:

SAM_0678_zpsea20bf7d.jpg

SAM_0677_zps6c05fcad.jpg

Here is one of his older counterparts:

SAM_0675_zps5c991c07.jpg

Thats right, my very own baby Bronze Corydora! I am slightly miffed that my filter seems to be able to do a better job at raising fry than me but oh well, saves me the work i suppose. I knew that at least a few of the eggs from the last spawn had hatched because i found them empty on the glass, i assumed all of the fry had been eaten or sucked up and killed but i guess this little one was just too tough to die. Looks like my females are ready to go again, lets just hope me rescuing fry from the filter does not turn into a regular occurrence, i have very finite space that i am reserving for a couple more Whiptails.

Looks great. I have a feeling the fish probably love the "unforgivable" state of your tank though.

Congrats.  And don't beat yourself up... the key element to remember, algae generally bothers us FAR more than it bothers the fish!

I honestly kind of like the algae in your tank. So green, It almost compliments the plants in my opinion.

Also I think you have very nice Pearl Gouramis.

This shot is why I say the fish probably love it. If you had shrimp or fry they would just love hanging out there.

SAM_0659_zps2c5ff153.jpg

yeah your tank looks like a green awesome jungle, if i were a fish, i would love to be in your tank :)
got any full tank shots?

I really need to remember to get round to posting replies on threads....

Yeah, i think the fish enjoy only being disturbed when they are fed or given a water changes, though having said that i am just about to do a major trim and clean, the plants tend to get all tangled up if left for too long.

tcamos said:
 If you had shrimp or fry they would just love hanging out there.

My Cherry Shrimp i bought loved hanging out there...... until they managed to get sucked into my filter, a lesson learnt i guess.

Heres that full tank shot requested:

SAM_0696_zps407c465d.jpg

SAM_0697_zpsf61fa08b.jpg

(The first is with flash and the second isn't)

Just one last shot of Mr Whippy (i do love that fish):

SAM_0698_zpse20c412c.jpg

I can't wait to get him a couple of friends, i hear they appreciate being kept in small groups.

Thanks for all of the kind words, they are very much appreciated :D

what kind of plant is that, that is at the top and in the middle of the tank.

do you dose anything or use co2? it is so lush

Hey, sorry again for the delay in replying. The large (and also very dominating plant) is Indian Fern, it can be found very easily for very little money on eBay. It does not look nearly as impressive at first. Here is this tank when i very first started it (i moved the contents from an old 10 gallon):

SAM_0121_zpsd3b9ec3a.jpg

The plants on the right are the same ones now, i originally had 5 but had to take 2 out and spread the rest due to their growth. I can't remember the last time i added a dose of ferts, i think i did one dose then decided i was too poor at keeping to a schedule and just could not be bothered so gave it up. I never went near CO2 in this tank, if i decide not to turn it into a reef in the future then i may try turning it into a high-tech set-up, we are talking very distant future here.... I need to get round to taking out that filter which i have been meaning to do forever :p

Don't worry about the algae!  Honestly I think it looks kinda good.  And lakes and stuff are covered in algae...so the fish aren't probably bugged too much.
Great tank and great work!

Wow Tux, your tank has come a long way!  And obviously I love the Pearl Gouramis................I have a similar problem with green spot algae in only one of my tanks and it figures it's the 55 acrylic since it's the hardest to clean without scratching.  

Um...... I know if I was a fish, I would LOVE to live in your tank
59.gif
59.gif

59.gif

59.gif
   I think it looks fantastic!

Steve

Most reactions

Back