I Love Rainbow Behavior!

Gerry Allen has done a number of books (lots actually). Many are on damsel and clownfish (saltwater fish) but many are about freshwater fishes of Australia and the New Guinea region. He is also the man who discovered a number of species and went through and re-classified them all a few years ago. He has done another book recently but it is only about Australian native fishes. However, it gives you lots of info about freshwater fish besides rainbowfish, ie; gobies, gudgeons, saratoga, archerfish, grunters/ perch, etc. It is called:

Field Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of Australia.
By G. R. Allen, S. H. Midgley, M. Allen
Published by the Western Australian Museum in 2002
ISBN: 0 7307 5486 3

Another good book on Australian fish is called:
Australian Native Fishes for Aquariums
By Ray Leggett & John R. Merrick
Published by J. R. Merrick Publications in 1987
ISBN: 0 9591908 1 3

This book has info on the native fish as well as fish foods and fishrooms and general fish care/ keeping.

But the main book for rainbows is the one mentioned previously

thanks for the replies...i went through the list of fish with my fiancee and we would like two of each of the following:

Kangaroo Creek Rainbow Fish
Incisus (Salmon Red) Rainbow Fish
Lake Tebera Rainbow (Melanotaenia Herbertaxelrodi)

problem is i dont know of anywhere to buy them from :angry: never seen any of those in my local stores, though most of them say they'll "custom-order" so maybe i'll look into that.

any ideas of online stores to buy these guys from that'll ship to the US? i found an Australian site that has amazing rainbows (including the above) but they only ship within Australia :-(

I have the Melanotaenia Duboulayi strain that Roy Hunter collected in the 90's in the Tin Can Bay area. Could be kangaroo creek but no one knows for sure.

Pic of adults:
112450a81221c4f8.jpg

Image was taken by Eileen Kortright

Most reactions

Back