I love my platies

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

After reading through the links, I think I shouldn't change from gravel to sand when the tank not fully cycled. The tank was setup 2 weeks before the fishes arrived. They were fine at start and their poop colour is greenish colour that mean they ate some algae to keep them balance diet. Then when I clean the tank, they got some wasted food hidding underneath the gravel so I change to sand (but keep a few gravel to help build the bacteria) and remove the waste daily. They clearly dont have enough vegetable to keep a health diet.
I thought I have done the research, but clearly not enough.
Usually, any tropical fish crumble or flake will be enough nutrition for livebearers since they are also considered algae eaters and will eat anything along the tank walls/decor/substrate.

Usually, any tropical fish crumble or flake will be enough nutrition for livebearers since they are also considered algae eaters and will eat anything along the tank
It feels like the gravel has built enough algae where the sand maybe more difficult to build. Now i don't know which one is better for my platy, any suggestion?

I do agree that a larger tank would do them well, platys do not get very big but they do produce a large amount of bioload. I, personally, have a controversial opinion on stocking- if your fish cannot outgrow your tank and they have plenty of turning around space, and as long as you can take care of the water needs (whether the water changes is just once a week or more) then you should be okay. I use AQAdvisor Stocking Calculator to make the majority of my stocking decisions.

Here is what I have on platys:

Feeding:
You can easily overfeed platys and other livebearers as they tend to over eat. They do not have an efficient way to say they are full and being bloated can cause a lot of harm to their internal organs.
Only feed them once/twice a day depending on your water parameters.

Water Parameters for Livebearers:
Livebearers are hard water fish, needing upwards of 160-220ppm gH.
pH should be around 7.2-7.6.
Temp should stay around 74-82 degrees fahrenheit (23-28 celsius, as I see you are from England).
No ammonia or nitrites should be present, if they are, please do a large (75%) water change.
Nitrates should stay below 20ppm.
To test these things, purchase an API Liquid Testing Kit from your local pet store or online.

Tank Size:
Bigger is always better for livebearers, they don't necessarily require a load of space but they do produce a lot of bioload and if you cannot keep up with the water changes in a smaller tank, then you need to buy a bigger tank.
I recommend a minimum of 10g tank for the livebearers but most people will say 20g works best.

Hope this helps, I see everyone has given some input as well. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to any of us. :)
Thank you for the information, I have checked out the AQAadvisor stocking calculator, very useful tool, should really think about changing the tank now. But I do find it a lots easier to pickup their poop and food waste daily with the current tank. I have ordered the water test kit, will do a regular check on the condition.

I just spent an hour to peel the spinach into particle to encourage them to eat it. Hopefully that will be better than just feeding flakes. I also start feed them smaller amount twice a day so that it don't over blow their stomach. But the little one still haven't eaten a thing for 1 week now, quite worrying. But i guess I just have to keep changing the water and hopefully she will get better.

Thank you so much for you and everyone in this forum all your help and advise. You all are angel there. Thank you so much, greatly appreciated.

It feels like the gravel has built enough algae where the sand maybe more difficult to build. Now i don't know which one is better for my platy, any suggestion?
I use TopFin Pro Series Tropical Fish Crumbles.. I am not sure if the UK has TopFin in any of your stores but you might be able to order it online at this link:

Petsmart

Smaller tanks do equate to less maintanence, of course, but with the fish you chose you have already agreed to providing them the space and maintenence they will need.

You can always replace the fish you have with different fish. Nanos can do well in smaller tanks (>5g) and bettas also do really well in 5g.

You can make it a shrimp tank as well, you can have up to 5 cherry shrimp per gallon of water (I am sorry, I don't know the conversion for liters).

Or, you can get a 10g and your platys will do well in there. You can stock your tanks based on the AqAdvisor calculator as they use science and specifics about the species to calculate it.

I am so glad we all could help you. Continue to post and ask questions if you need!

Just an update of the little one status, a 2 days ago, it start getting better and today it is almost swimming like normal. I found changing the water daily, keeping temperature at around 20 degree, vegetable diet every other day, really help her. Thank you so much for all your help. I have also increase the tank size, they are now a happy fish :)

Just an update of the little one status, a 2 days ago, it start getting better and today it is almost swimming like normal. I found changing the water daily, keeping temperature at around 20 degree, vegetable diet every other day, really help her. Thank you so much for all your help. I have also increase the tank size, they are now a happy fish :)
Yes, changing the water daily could keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at an appropriate level. I am so so glad she is doing better.

Platys still need protein or else she will not gain the amount of weight she needs. I recommend adding live food or frozen worms into her diet if you can. Or finding freeze-dried bloodworms. They are not vegetarian.

I am so glad you increased the tank size. What size is it? If it is <10g then you don't need to change the water daily. Do you have a filter? If so, water changes weekly will be fine.

Yes, changing the water daily could keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at an appropriate level. I am so so glad she is doing better.

Platys still need protein or else she will not gain the amount of weight she needs. I recommend adding live food or frozen worms into her diet if you can. Or finding freeze-dried bloodworms. They are not vegetarian.

I am so glad you increased the tank size. What size is it? If it is <10g then you don't need to change the water daily. Do you have a filter? If so, water changes weekly will be fine.
It is a 35L tank. I have just been to the shop and bought some frozen brine shrimp, they love it, but i can see some indigestion there, can literally see the shrimp in the poop, and then they eat it again.... I also bought a small driftwood and a anubias nana, currently washing in separate bucket. The lobelia cardinalis still growing strong, can see some new leaves and root, i think it submerged successfully.
I am really grateful for all your help, you all are hero there :)

It is a 35L tank. I have just been to the shop and bought some frozen brine shrimp, they love it, but i can see some indigestion there, can literally see the shrimp in the poop, and then they eat it again.... I also bought a small driftwood and a anubias nana, currently washing in separate bucket. The lobelia cardinalis still growing strong, can see some new leaves and root, i think it submerged successfully.
I am really grateful for all your help, you all are hero there :)
Yes, protein will usually come out all weird in their poop but if it isn't affecting them in any other way then it should be fine. I am so glad you are doing well! Feel free to ask more questions if you need!

Most reactions

Back