I Know You've Heard This Before...but I Need To Know

rgrrmg

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, I thought I had one ready to drop so I put it in a nursery I have that has an air stone for flow and the babies can get away from the mother. I don't have enough room right now for another tank so I went this route.
I put the female in and she stressed and the next thing I new there were eggs in the nursery (she aborted).
I'll see if I can post the picture of another female to see if any one can tell me how far she might be, so I don't put her in the hatchery too soon.I can see the eyes of the babies in the back of her stomach.

here goes:
Reallypregnant.jpg

you know whats odd is i had a female who was heavily pregnant and looked just like that one day...i became worried due to her looking very red....

Well, I thought I had one ready to drop so I put it in a nursery I have that has an air stone for flow and the babies can get away from the mother. I don't have enough room right now for another tank so I went this route.
I put the female in and she stressed and the next thing I new there were eggs in the nursery (she aborted).
I'll see if I can post the picture of another female to see if any one can tell me how far she might be, so I don't put her in the hatchery too soon.I can see the eyes of the babies in the back of her stomach.

here goes:
Reallypregnant.jpg

So is this the picture of the fish you want to know how far on it is?

She looks pretty heavily pregnant. Why not just let her give birth in the main tank then catch the fry and put them in the nursery.

To me, she looks like she could still be a week or more from a drop. As others have suggested, I dislike placing a female into a breeding net or trap. Instead scooping up the fry that you spot will get you plenty of fry without the stress to your female. Perhaps Livebearer Master can suggest just when to trap the female, as I recall that is his favorite way to deal with livebearer females. I never have much success that way though.

To me, she looks like she could still be a week or more from a drop. As others have suggested, I dislike placing a female into a breeding net or trap. Instead scooping up the fry that you spot will get you plenty of fry without the stress to your female. Perhaps Livebearer Master can suggest just when to trap the female, as I recall that is his favorite way to deal with livebearer females. I never have much success that way though.
Thanks OM I'll be looking for Livebearer master's reply.
And thanks for everyone elses replies.

BTW, she hasn't dropped any fry yet.

Me personally have good luck with my fish, i judge well but seeing them on pics can be hard, but yours is close..
Hi,

My opinion is, can u get a overhead shot of her? (birds eye view?)

I would trap her tonight regardless, leave he rin til morning, soon as u trap her, out the lights, give her a little food, and if u have anything to cover the tank to block your room light do so... this will basically minimize any stress cos as u know when lights go out, fish go in to a trance (there idea of sleeping lol) in this trance state they are static almost in movement, this si why u out the lights...

main things to remember when u trap em..

Dont use a net to get em, (use the net to persuade em to the surface and scoop it with the trap so no contact is made with the fish)

Always out the lightds when trapping

Add food (tiny bit)

Block as much light from room (by covering tank if possible)

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER leave her in longer than 48 hours, if no fry still, leave her be to drop in tank or try again after 2 days.

Livebearer master i never thought of the blocking the light no one had ever told me this hum i am doing this my next drop ,cheers

Edit: I found 2 more fry, for a total of 4.

Me personally have good luck with my fish, i judge well but seeing them on pics can be hard, but yours is close..
Hi,

My opinion is, can u get a overhead shot of her? (birds eye view?)

I would trap her tonight regardless, leave he rin til morning, soon as u trap her, out the lights, give her a little food, and if u have anything to cover the tank to block your room light do so... this will basically minimize any stress cos as u know when lights go out, fish go in to a trance (there idea of sleeping lol) in this trance state they are static almost in movement, this si why u out the lights...

main things to remember when u trap em..

Dont use a net to get em, (use the net to persuade em to the surface and scoop it with the trap so no contact is made with the fish)

Always out the lightds when trapping

Add food (tiny bit)

Block as much light from room (by covering tank if possible)

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER leave her in longer than 48 hours, if no fry still, leave her be to drop in tank or try again after 2 days.
Thanks LB, Well here is justice for you...I checked her this morning and had to leave for jury duty. When I came back at about 1:30 she had dropped, I only found 2 fry to remove. My girlfriend gave me her old 3.5G tank for the babies, so there are 3 fry in there about 3 days old,will they bother the newborn if I put them together?

Thanks.

Most reactions

Back