I Just Set Up A New Tank Need An Opinon

FishFanatic13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i just set up a new tank and was woundering if the slate in my graden would be ok in my tank if i cleaned it in boiling water

Yes boiling water should do the job, leave it to soak in the water , and when it's cooled down enough for you to put your hands in, get a new scrubbing brush or small hard nail brush ( must be new not used otherwise traces of detergents will get on the slate ) and really give the slate a good scrubbing all over to really clean it and get any debris off it.

Then empty the water away and pour over more boiling water to rinse it. Leave that to cool down and then your slate is ready to use.

I doubt rocks in the wild are scrubbed clean before animals come across them.

i just set up a new tank and was woundering if the slate in my graden would be ok in my tank if i cleaned it in boiling water

oh, i used slate for my shrimp tank. I used a very weak diluted bleach solution, and left it soaked overnight. Then give it a wash, 2-3X over. And let it air dry :)

Thanks for the replies, appreciated. The reason I asked is that I've set up my new tank 2/3rds gravel, 1/3rd sand....and have used a divider...however, the diveder looks out of place and wanted to cover the "join" with small pieces of slate.

Before I upset my dad and take some of his small pieces of slate, any other ideas on how to cover the join ? (Dad suggested planting the line to cover it but I've never found a plant that grows the right way)

Have you got any pictures? Fish will surely go through with plants and/or slate i would say.

could you not get a bigger divider?

Thanks Betta - to clarify, I've have divided my substrate...rather than all sand or all gravel, I've split it 2/3rds roman gravel, and 1/3rd sand (not mixed) - the divider keeps the two seperated...but looks like a piece of plastic !!! I'm trying to disguise it, which is why I thought about using slate......

Most reactions

Back