I Just Brought My Heater Out Of The Water, While It Was Still On

Ilovemybetta

Reaction score
Before I tell you the story, I need to tell you that I feel like an idiot. I took my heater out while it was still on. I know It was like the basic's, and I fail at basics. There isn't any noticeable cracks on the heater. No fish were impacted on this. When I took it out, the heater started to crack, I threw it(not that hard, somewhat gentle) on the ground. I quickly turned of everything in my fish tank. Can I reuse this heater, just let it cool. Or do I have to go to the petstore and buy a new heater. I don't want to buy a new one, sense I just spent $18 on sand.

I would say its to risky as water might get inside and intern electrocute all your fish.
Personally I wouldn't and buy a new one as you'll end up buying a new one an new fish

If its cracked then obviously a new one is needed

Don't be too hard on yourself. That's why the good heaters have an auto shutoff feature. Buy a good one that turns itself off when out of water like an Eheim.

Don't be too hard on yourself. That's why the good heaters have an auto shutoff feature. Buy a good one that turns itself off when out of water like an Eheim.

I think It did turn off automatically, it is an All Glass Aquarium heater, or an Aqueon Heater. I was on the phone with their tech support and they said it just had to cool off. It's been cooling for like a day. Could I re use it?

I think It did turn off automatically, it is an All Glass Aquarium heater, or an Aqueon Heater. I was on the phone with their tech support and they said it just had to cool off. It's been cooling for like a day. Could I re use it?

I use these heaters and they're very good. I must say though that the pros are much better. I wouldn't risk reusing it.

Buy an inline heater anyway. They are the dogs danglys

I use these heaters and they're very good. I must say though that the pros are much better. I wouldn't risk reusing it.

It didn't shatter. It just turned off.

You said: "When I took it out, the heater started to crack, I threw it(not that hard, somewhat gentle) on the ground."
What did you mean by that?

You said: "When I took it out, the heater started to crack, I threw it(not that hard, somewhat gentle) on the ground."
What did you mean by that?
It made a cracking, or burning sound

Then it may have cracked internally. If you really love your Betta, you'll buy it a new heater.

Glass cracks when it is exposed from one temperature extreme to the other. I would not trust your heater to be safe to use.

Most reactions

Back