I Have Never Seen This Kind Of Guppy Behavior (Story Time)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Okay.  Story time.  Grab a blanket and some snacks.

I have a 20 gallon tank that houses a family of guppies (three adult guppies, seven juvenile guppies).  A old-timer fish, Abby, was one of four of my first guppies ever owned.  Scar, a juvenile male, is one of her sons.

Today during feeding, everything looked shipshape.  All were eating and all seemed fine.  Tonight, I noticed Abby hiding behind the driftwood, staying put.  She was clearly bothered by something.  I watched for a few minutes, trying to find out what was bothering her. 

After watching for another few minutes, she came out from her hiding place.  Almost immediately, Scar began nipping her.  This was not the commonly seen "sniffing" behind the anal fin.  This was nipping, right near her dorsal fin.  She tried to lose him, but he persisted.  About a minute of chasing ensued.  Then Scar peeled off and Abby returned to her hiding place.

At this point, I'm like... what?!

A few minutes passed again, and Abby reemerged from her hiding place.  Almost immediately, Scar began nipping again, chasing her all over the tank.  Then, a minute later, he peeled off and Abby returned to her hiding place.

Scar then found her in her hiding place, and began nipping again.  I immediately grabbed my net and caught Scar, and put him in a breeder net.  As soon as I did this, Abby resumed her usually business about the tank, as if all were normal again.

I have watched guppies swim/chase each other around since they day I bought guppies from my LFS.  For the most part, it's either one of two types of chasing:
1. Males "sniffing" females
or
2. Guppies "playing."  They look like they're drafting off each other or something.  Definitely not aggressive behavior.

I have never seen chasing, or any biting, between guppies.  Abby looked distressed, and at some points helpless.  Has anyone else ever seen this among guppies?

If he's a juvenile then he could just be developing into an adult and starting to exert his masculinity so to speak. What's your male/female ratio? Ideally you want 1 male to 3 females which gives the females enough rest from the males attentions.

Is Abby birthing fry or about to birth fry?  Scar could be trying to get a prime spot to eat them.

Lunar Jetman said:
If he's a juvenile then he could just be developing into an adult and starting to exert his masculinity so to speak. What's your male/female ratio? Ideally you want 1 male to 3 females which gives the females enough rest from the males attentions.
Right now, I've got three males to seven females.  Usually there are eight females but one is in a nursery about to give birth.
wish.gif

PrairieSunflower said:
Is Abby birthing fry or about to birth fry?  Scar could be trying to get a prime spot to eat them.
Abby actually gave birth 10 days ago.  I've seen what males look like when they're chasing pregnant females around for a snack.  They would approach the female from below and sniff around the anal fin area.  Scar was nipping at the top of Abby's body. :eek:

My male fish did the same thing! He had no romantic intentions, he just kept nipping her like it was a game! :( I understand your aggravation...

Most reactions

Back