I have an odd one.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Obobaby

Reaction score
So a little while back I got a spotted cory (black and has a pattern kinda like a snake) and another fish i dont remember the kind for. Well fish 2 died and life went on. But today i got a batta and added him to the tank. And now things get odd. The cory started chasing and nipping the batta. Why? How do I fix?

So a little while back I got a spotted cory (black and has a pattern kinda like a snake) and another fish i dont remember the kind for. Well fish 2 died and life went on. But today i got a batta and added him to the tank. And now things get odd. The cory started chasing and nipping the batta. Why? How do I fix?
Yes that is unexpected. I've had some problems with bettas chasing cories around a bit before but never the other way around. Perhaps the poor cory is so lonely he's desperate for companionship. It should definitely help to add more cories (of the same species). How many to add would depend on the size of the tank but if tank size will support it a minimum of 5 cories is recommended.

You need to remove the Corydoras. Betas should not be housed with other fish, they need to be kept alone.

Do you have another tank you can add them to?

My Betas have always got along good with Cory's. They ignore one another in my personal experience. I had a single Cory live 5 years with my Beta. I was sad when he died of old age. I since learned that Cory's are schooling fish. Now I have 4 Cory's with a new Beta. They all get along fine

We need to know the size of your tank. Can you put up a photo as that really helps. Thanks
It's a 2.5 cube but I just moved the Corey to solve.

Attachments

• 20210425_160821.jpg
    20210425_160821.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 38
There was just not a enough space for him to move about and the Betta just kept getting in the way

It's a 2.5 cube but I just moved the Corey to solve.
That explains what you’re issue is/was. A tank that only holds 2.5 gallons, doesn’t provide much room for nearly any fish. Some support the idea that Bettas can be kept in tanks that small, but I personally believe they need a minimum of 5 gallons.

Having a tank that small also makes it very hard to manage water parameters. The bigger the tank, the easier it is to stay on top of water parameters.

Yeah cories like more space than that. I wouldn’t try putting them in anything less than a 10 gallon. Some people say 20.
Most Corydoras species need a minimum tank size of 20 gallons. (A 20g long, not a 20g high)

Different breeds of Bettas behave differently.

Aggressive Bettas will kill smaller fish if they can catch them or if the tank is small.
On the other hand, big fins and tail Bettas can get nipped or ripped apart by other fish.

In the past, I had a veil tail Betta which was not too aggressive.

But Plakat(short tail/fins) Bettas or the Crown tail Bettas can be very aggressive.
One of my plakat Betta even chased after my Blue Ram though the Ram is slightly bigger than the Betta.

Different breeds of Bettas behave differently.

Aggressive Bettas will kill smaller fish if they can catch them or if the tank is small.
On the other hand, big fins and tail Bettas can get nipped or ripped apart by other fish.

In the past, I had a veil tail Betta which was not too aggressive.

But Plakat(short tail/fins) Bettas or the Crown tail Bettas can be very aggressive.
One of my plakat Betta even chased after my Blue Ram though the Ram is slightly bigger than the Betta.
Yea I moved the cory and I am getting a 7.1 gallon cube to replace the 2.5

Most reactions

Back