I Have A Few Questions..

dannym

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all

I have a few questions here, and im a bloody slow typer so this has took me forever!

Dannym, have you ID'ed the other five fish yet? Why not post a pic of them.

Ok firstly here are some more pics of the fish i would love to know the names of, and the size of my fish in my overstocked 60 litre (sorry my poor fishes). :(

The second and third picture are the ones i was hoping to get identified (am i being a paranoid newbie or do they look pregnant!!!??)

DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

DSCN0231.jpg

You need to get the tank fast.
Looking at a 75 gallon tank at the moment.

Oh my word! Correct me if im wrong but is'nt that like a 300 something litre tank, I honestly never realised i would need a tank that big, not to mention the cost of a tank that size, Guess ill have to start looking as im not in this for the short run i dont want to give my fish up especially my little angels (my daughters favorite) and i want to learn I have a nice space reserved for a tank in my living room..

''''If anyone is selling a fish tank or knows of a good trusted site please let me know''''

Also i work for the council & was securing a property with steel sheeting that squatters had been removed from, Anyway Blah, Blah i found a small tank possibly 30-40 litres which had 3 fish in, I was concerned about the welfare of these beautifull little strange looking fish, Man they were so strange lmao! so i took them to a local aquarium, the fella behind the counter was only a kid & on his own in the shop he took the fish off me but had no idea what they were but said they was definatly saltwater, i looked in the shop to see if i could see the same fish but they had none, i googled saltwater fish but alas no luck, i would love to know what them gorgeous little fish were...

They were 3 of the same fish, and they was orange, the only way i can describe them is they were like little floating heads, sort of box shaped they did'nt have long bodies more like a little head with little fins at the side & little pouting lips hehehehe they make me laugh just thinking about them makes me laugh man, little things please little minds i suppose

Anyway im pretty sure someone will be able to i.d them floating heads for me

Thankyou again for all your help/advice ladies & gents i really do appreciate it

Danny..

It looks like you have platies, angelfish, bala sharks, and maybe mollies?

Platies - the ones you thought might be pregnant- probably are. :D
angels - how tall is the tank?
bala sharks - you will need a very large tank for these. They grow up to 15" and need to be kept in groups. IMHO, you need a 5 foot long tank, at least 18" wide for a group of three, but they should kept in groups of at least 6.
Mollies - I'm not sure if those silver fish are mollies or not, but if they are, they do better with brackish water.

The fish you have are plattys, and they get pregnant a lot (they are livebearers).

Were the fish you saw cowfish by any chance? or maybe boxfish?

lol yea its a cowfish, man i want some, gorgeous little things! Thanks!! Where do they originate from?..

And what am i going to do if my fish are pregnant?

Danny..

And what am i going to do if my fish are pregnant?

First don't tell your daughter. If you tell her, you will have to find a way to keep all of them or deal with the tears.

The even worse news is that they will probably have several batches of fish because they store the sperm.

On the other hand, they will eat their young (yet another reason not to tell your daughter) so that will help keep the numbers down, if you don't provide alot of good hiding spots. You can get a breeding tank that fits into your tank and put the pg one in it before she has them and then save all the babies, but then you have even more fish in an already overcrowded tank.

With your tank not being cycled, its also possible that they might reabsorb these pregnancies, or that the added stress could kill them, or that the surviving young be few in number. My daughter wanted pg fish and since I didn't know what I was doing, I went along with it. We didn't know about cycling the tank and so the molly mom died and the platy only had 3 fry fish that lived. She got another molly and because of various things were still cycling the tank and only one lived. Well, I say that but I have no idea how many were eaten.

My DD doesn't realize the platy is pg again, but I plan on letting it be survival of the fittest. We will see if that lasts when I see a fry in the tank :blush: I am probably just about as bad as her.

Good luck,
Christi

Most reactions

Back