I have a dilemma! Opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update! I got a 6 gallon cube for the shrimp! I have a seeded sponge filter and added 2 juvenile mystery snails. Can I add the shrimp now? Should I wait for tomorrow?

Update! I got a 6 gallon cube for the shrimp! I have a seeded sponge filter and added 2 juvenile mystery snails. Can I add the shrimp now? Should I wait for tomorrow?
Test your water and see what it reads. :)

Guessing doesn’t count. It needs to be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrates. If nitrates higher than 20 then do a 50% water change to lower them below 20. Then you’re ready. :)

Guessing doesn’t count. It needs to be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrates. If nitrates higher than 20 then do a 50% water change to lower them below 20. Then you’re ready. :)
Yes I know but since there is no waste it would be 0,0,0. I will test and add them today

No, if you used the seeded media it would show nitrates. I do it all the time and the nitrates indicate to me that the cycle carried over. Without the nitrates, it’s not cycled.

No, if you used the same filter media it would show nitrates. I do it all the time and the nitrates indicate to me that the cycle carried over.
Ok. I did this a few months ago and the water tested 0,0,0 and when I added 1 fish it showed only nitrates so yes the bb did it’s job but there were no nitrates until I added waste

You’re not listening and obviously don’t really understand the nitrogen cycle. I give up.

Is your tank heavily planted? If so, that is the only way nitrates could be 0. Anyone else want to help me here?

You’re not listening and obviously don’t really understand the nitrogen cycle. I give up.
I understand. When I’m adding seeded media I’m adding bb correct? How could I add nitrates? Nitrates is from waste

I wonder if it's because the tank has only just been set up and the readings are still at tap water level?

How long have the snails been in the tank? Long enough to produce ammonia?
What are the readings for your tap water, does that have zero nitrate?

The only way to know if the mature sponge has enough bacteria is to add ammonia. I have no idea how much 2 juvenile snails will make compared to a group of shrimps. I would wait a couple of days and see what the readings are then - if there's any sign of ammonia or nitrite you'll know not to move the shrimps, but if there's no ammonia or nitrite, but there is a reading for nitrate, there should be enough bacteria.

I wonder if it's because the tank has only just been set up and the readings are still at tap water level?

How long have the snails been in the tank? Long enough to produce ammonia?
What are the readings for your tap water, does that have zero nitrate?

The only way to know if the mature sponge has enough bacteria is to add ammonia. I have no idea how much 2 juvenile snails will make compared to a group of shrimps. I would wait a couple of days and see what the readings are then - if there's any sign of ammonia or nitrite you'll know not to move the shrimps, but if there's no ammonia or nitrite, but there is a reading for nitrate, there should be enough bacteria.
I set the tank up last night and added 2 juvenile snails. I’ll test but I was talking about last night how it would be 0,0,0 bc there was no waste

Ah, if you meant it was all zeros last night, then a newly set up tank would have all zeros because it's brand new. All you were doing was testing tap water in the tank. Assuming your tap water has all zeros.

You can't risk adding the shrimps until you know the sponge filter has enough bacteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back