I Have A Cat Fish

Phil Crane

Reaction score
my brothers got a cat fish in its own little tank bought it when it was like 2 cm`s big (or small whichever way you look at it) im wondering if it could be kept in my tank with the fish i have considering that it is now say 12 inches BIG my fish are in my sig and my tank info also

i dont know what cat fish it is all i know is its a creamy colour with brown patches on it

The catfish needs identifying with a good photo showing it from the side, so we know what we are dealing with here.

However, a 12" catfish should be in a tank 48"x24"x24" minimum (4lx2wx2h the size of the fish), far bigger than your Rio180. Which is also far from suitable for a Common Pleco that could reach 60cm...

ok i will try grab a picture then, pleco is only a baby 2/3cm if that so leaving ti in for now till it gets a bit of size then going to take it the aquarium and swap it

rt2oug.jpg

Not a very commonly kept family of catfish, I think it might be a member of the Clariidae genus, namely Clarius batrachus.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/_species.php?species_id=90

This fish should reach ~40cm and they are predatory... From your Rio180 stocking, I'd be surprised if anything would survive besides your Bleeding Heart Tetras and Common Pleco, depending on how big they are. So besides the tank requirements issue, you might not want to make your current fish live lunch!

As soon as you said creamy patches I knew it would be a Clarious AKA the walking catfish and that is whats in the pic. Goat has covered it but I would strengthen his warning they are highly predatory and do grow huge!! I would either find a huge tank for it or find someone who can house it properly.

Wills

Most reactions

Back