i hate snails!

-cAtFiSh-

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i keep finging little baby snails and snail eggs in my tank and they are really starting to annoy the hell out of me. i remember a while ago finding a snail about 1-1.5cm long in my tank and thinking it was cute (lol) so i left it there. i'm thinking now that that might have been a bad mistake. is there any way i can get rid of the snails before they get out of hand? (besides hand picking them out, coz thats annoying!)

i hate snails :angry:

what sort of copper? What does it do? Sorry to come in on this but i have the same problem. Going to try the lettuce leaf trick tonight.

copper is toxic to most if not all snail scalless fish shrimps and some plant.

it only takes a day or two for the snails to die , then just do a 50% water change, as the dead snail might cause a small nitrate spike.

you can also put in a piece of cucumber, lettuce or zuccini, turn off the lights and wait a while, then come back and remove all the snails that are on the vegetable. do this 2 or three times, and you should be fairly snail free with no chemicals.

I have been told that Clown Loaches eat snails.....I have just brought three today..I have been having the same problem as you. I have also brought some Aquatic snail treatment (eSHa Gastropex) its safe for fish and plants and frogs if you have them. Its also good to bath new plants in before you put them in the tank.....Thats where my snails came from(plants)....So I'm going to soak all my new plants before I put them in.....

If you can avoid using the snail killer it would help out your other fish and your brand nu clown loaches!!!
Clown loaches luv eating snails! Just let them do their job and you'll save £$ on feeding the loaches!
Also there is nothing better for your fish than live food IMHO!
You'll have healthy fast growing loaches (provided your water is in good condition) and less snails! :D

Sorry, cant resist it.

Clown loaches get to more than 12", so unless you have a very big tank, you cant get them.

P.T.

That's a point well made!!!

I dont think people research their fish enough before they go out and buy them!
I also think it helps if you ask at an Aquarium store and I repeat... "AN AQUARIUM STORE" (Not some scabby pet hypermarket that employ kids that know nothing about any pet let alone fish!) for advice on eating habbits, water conditions and size!

I research my potential fish here... Aquazoo
and here Live Aquaria before I ask for advice off my local (and well trusted) Aquarium store!

Both sites give valuable information on the conditions your fish need and aquazoo gives a compatability chart 2!!!

I'm confused!! (it ain't hard) I've just been to Aquazoo (very good link btw, thanks) and looked up clown loaches and they Say "These fish grow to around a foot long in the wild; but in the aquarium they normally only reach 5 to 6 inches." Now we have clowns in our tank and we do intend to go bigger when the need arrives, so do they grow to 12 inches or as the site says 5-6 inches?? :huh:

-cAtFiSh- said:
i keep finging little baby snails and snail eggs in my tank and they are really starting to annoy the hell out of me. i remember a while ago finding a snail about 1-1.5cm long in my tank and thinking it was cute (lol) so i left it there. i'm thinking now that that might have been a bad mistake. is there any way i can get rid of the snails before they get out of hand? (besides hand picking them out, coz thats annoying!)

i hate snails :angry:
:eek: Dont say that ,I found a little
Nsnail.gif
last week thought it looked cute,do they multiply so easily?

Snails are Asexual ( I think thats how its pronounced ) you only need one and they multiply like rabbits unless they have a predatory fish feeding on them, other than that cucumber maybe your best option.

I used a snail removing med before along time back didnt do the job and had problems with the fish after that, so wont use anything like that again.

StrontiumDog said:
Snails are Asexual ( I think thats how its pronounced ) you only need one and they multiply like rabbits unless they have a predatory fish feeding on them, other than that cucumber maybe your best option.

I used a snail removing med before along time back didnt do the job and had problems with the fish after that, so wont use anything like that again.
Cucumber dog? -_-

Most reactions

Back