I Gotta Question That I Can't Answer Myself

With reference to the posts about betta tank sizes and how bad it is. We, as fish keepers, are all guilty of keeping a fish of whatever species in an unnatural environment, so before getting all ethical, consider what you are choosing to do?

Probably not a popular opinion but I stick to it with tenacity regardless of how many may be offended by it

You really dont offend anyone with your views! The reason you dont offend me is that i think i have far greater experience than you actually do, and as such, am probably more qualified to give educated opinions. I have always said that Bettas should be heated, preferably filtered and no smaller than 3 UK gallons.

Yep, the basteds.... lol

I know it was just an example, a little extreme may i add :p haha, but i remember when i went in and seen bettas for the first time. They had a little notice up exsplaing how they can live in these vases at room temp without heaters/filters... just very misleading.

I keep have kept more than a handful of bettas in a 1 gallon tank and they have been just as happy or had a longer lifespan than some that lived in 5 gallons.
As long as you properly take care of the water I see no issue whatsoever in regards to tank size as long as the fish can swim around.
NO ONE is imitating the fish in their natural environment. All fish live in far bigger areas than what we can provide. Some people say 3 gallons, some say 5..... So why not 12? or 29? I mean if we are going for quality of life and natural environment.
Frankly, I am quite tired of these arbitrary tank size reccomendations.
We can all agree that leaving a betta in a cup where he cannot get a good swim going is a bad way to do things, but preaching and preaching and preaching some magic number that people constantly disagree on is ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm afraid I will eternally disagree that 3 gals is a minimum let alone 1 gallon for a permanent home. I have a 3 gallon on the desk behind me ( contains java moss and wood ) and the idea of keeping a betta permanently in there sickens my gut . Probably not a popular opinion but I stick to it with tenacity regardless of how many may be offended by it , and insist their fish are apparantly happy in a 1 gallon pot *shrugs*

You don't see people doing it to dwarf gouramis, so why bettas? Both anabantoids, both small species.

But I stray off topic with that thought. I will stand by the statement that a cheap 5 gallon can be found easily enough, to fit where the OP's current tub is.

i did say 3 was better, but 1 is usualy the us standard for abslout minimum,, keep in mind us 1 gal is bigger then uk 1 gal but not by much, i agree that a bigger tank is a better lifestlye choice , not the ridcluos small cups, realy those "" betta keepers"" that are for sale in the us near me hold less than a 20 oz soda bottle....

Hi Azule :)

I think you'll find its smaller? If you put a tank size 30" x 12" x 12" into the aquarium calculator it says UK 16, US 19, indicating that you need more US gallons to fill it meaning they are smaller.

C'mon you guys cant have the biggest of everything LOL

I'm sooo tired of the tank size debate also. Yes, it would be great to be able to keep a single betta in a 50gal. No, its not probable. People are going to keep their bettas in whatever size tank they want. No matter how much you preach at them. Like someone said...we are putting them in a man made environment. Shoot, if you have a bird are you going to buy a cage the size of a football stadium so they have "plenty" of room to fly around? No.

And yes, Bronzecat...I do agree with you about the ethical statement you made :)

In my opinion, for any fish a filter should be provided to ensure good water quality. Just because a betta, or any other fish for that matter could in theory live in bad conditions does not mean it should. I would never keep tropical fish without one, not only for cleanliness but because most of the good bacteria resides in the filter media, meaning without a filter it is difficult to keep water quality stable.
A betta could live without a filter for a period of time, but it would not be a particulally healthy fish.

With regards to the tank size debate, I wouldnt keep a betta in anything less than a 5 gallon, but this is purely my opinion and i have seen bettas living in 3 gallons i think this can be acceptable providing proper care is given, its certainly better than a bowl!

Plastic plants will rip betta fins.

In my opinion, for any fish a filter should be provided to ensure good water quality. Just because a betta, or any other fish for that matter could in theory live in bad conditions does not mean it should. I would never keep tropical fish without one, not only for cleanliness but because most of the good bacteria resides in the filter media, meaning without a filter it is difficult to keep water quality stable.
A betta could live without a filter for a period of time, but it would not be a particulally healthy fish.

With regards to the tank size debate, I wouldnt keep a betta in anything less than a 5 gallon, but this is purely my opinion and i have seen bettas living in 3 gallons i think this can be acceptable providing proper care is given, its certainly better than a bowl!

Plastic plants will rip betta fins.

All good points and well said without being preachy :)

Even better than silk plants are Live Plants. You can buy live plants alot cheaper than silk plants. They'll also be beneficial to your tank in helping to absorb substances given off by your fish. The only downside to live plants is that without a prefered level of light they can die and in some cases can pollute the water if not removed or kept in shape. They also can bring in smaller creatures such as snails which can overun a tank (This is a plus to some people). Finally, keeping them near a filter keeps the water flowing around them, makes them look nice when they move and stops debris from gathering on them. If kept too close to a filter outlet they can be ripped apart and ruined.

All in all, a large bunch of live plants create a nicer environment (In my opinion) and offers a place of security when a Betta feels threatened.

Even better than silk plants are Live Plants. You can buy live plants alot cheaper than silk plants. They'll also be beneficial to your tank in helping to absorb substances given off by your fish. The only downside to live plants is that without a prefered level of light they can die and in some cases can pollute the water if not removed or kept in shape. They also can bring in smaller creatures such as snails which can overun a tank (This is a plus to some people). Finally, keeping them near a filter keeps the water flowing around them, makes them look nice when they move and stops debris from gathering on them. If kept too close to a filter outlet they can be ripped apart and ruined.

All in all, a large bunch of live plants create a nicer environment (In my opinion) and offers a place of security when a Betta feels threatened.

Most reactions

Back