I Got The Best Surprise This Morning!

TNW

Reaction score
I've always had guppies in my tanks, both males and females, and while my females always got fat then suddenly became "deflated", I never saw any baby fish.
About 2-3 months ago, the last of my male guppies died, leaving two females widowed. They were both really huge though, so I thought maybe the dead male's "legacy" could continue. When one of the females died it all was left to the other (Sunny, as she has a yellow tail) to give birth to the last batch. After over two months she was still huge, still had no sign of giving birth and we'd just presumed that she was a fat fish...
Then this morning we noticed her chasing what appeared to be a bit of debris or a leaf or something. But it was a tiny little fry! I got my net and quickly scooped it up into a fry hatchery I've had for years (the plastic kind that floats on the water surface). We spotted another one, and another one, and all the time Sunny was giving birth to more and more which somehow had the fear-of-nets that fish seem to be born with even in their first seconds of life. Meanwhile, Shadow the angelfish was lurking around grabbing any little fry he could get, and the cherry barbs were looking much fatter than usual. All in all we managed to save at least sixteen, though it's hard to count, and since bought a couple of the net-floater type fry keepers to keep them in.
I've never had any kind of fry before, so it's wonderful to see these small lives swimming about. :D I've fed them frozen baby brine shrimp twice today after mixing it up in some of the tank water to unfreeze it. The angel likes to peck at the net trap, but the fish just dash away and forget him. I can't wait until they start showing colour and shape! :D

Thank you! :)

One of the babies was sitting at the bottom of the plastic hatchery thing when he was put in there, but now all of them are swimming about quite happily it seems! I've no idea which one was the "sick" one. I've also got a spare net floating thingy to seperate the sexes when they're older.

My Sunny is still as fat as ever though. Is it normal for births to take so many months? o_o

Hi TNW :)

I'm happy that you finally got some fry. It's seems so rewarding to find them and to watch them grow up.

I will move your thread to the Livebearers forum where you will be able to get more information about raising them. :D

congrats on the fry. you might want to separate the guppies you have including mom from the angel fish really soon, or the angel might try to eat them.

congrats on the fry. you might want to separate the guppies you have including mom from the angel fish really soon, or the angel might try to eat them.
Thanks very much. :D Today they all seem happy, been giving them a small amount of baby shrimps and crushed a small flake up (figured it's best to get them used to it now!)

The angel isn't so big (it's the black one this video I made of them some months ago, and he hasn't grown much since), and the guppy is fully grown I would say. I've always worked on the principal that if small fish are reared with a baby angel, the angel will grow up being 'used to' the (now adult) fish. I have small cherry barbs in with him and he's not even noticed them.

Most reactions

Back