I Got My 10-gallon Sorority Tank! Update Page 2

little_mermaid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So a trip to Wal-Mart to get a fish heater and a small tank for my 2nd Betta gal turned into a big deal 'cause when they didn't have what I wanted at Wal-Mart, I went to PetsMart where I fell in love with my 3rd Betta gal and I couldn't leave her behind...soOo after sitting there in the aisle way thinking about which tanks to get and what-not, my grandparents and I settled on a 10-Gallon kit on sale! It was even a better deal than Wal-Mart 'cause it included a heater and several more items...either way it probably would have broke even, but anyways, I just LOVE my new tank! I plan on getting one or two more Bettas, but right now I just want to see how the three are going to be...hopefully they'll all like each other! Ah! I love my baby gals! :wub:

Oh! And I put the old filter behind the new filter...so some of the "special gunk" would establish itself in my new tank!

& also I have a question about the heater...does the light go off on it when it is all warmed up?

So far there has been no nipping and chasing, just flaring...which I can't help but find a little funny. Dolly has just eaten all of their food so I expect a bloated gal soon...hmm...how do ya'll feed your females? I want to make sure the other gals get to eat too...but they're still pretty tiny compared to Dolly.

Wait wait...new update...Dolly is not really chasing the other gals around, but she is following them...

also I have a question about the heater...does the light go off on it when it is all warmed up?[/color]

Yeh, the light on the heater indicates the heater is heating. When the light goes out its reached the desired temp.

if i have one big piggy female , what i do at feeding time is scop her in to a mesh breeding net, a fry box what ever u call them, they you can feed up the babies and have the big one just get a few. :good:

if i have one big piggy female , what i do at feeding time is scop her in to a mesh breeding net, a fry box what ever u call them, they you can feed up the babies and have the big one just get a few. :good:

That's a good idea...I'll definitely do that! Thanks!

thats great news, but did u cycle that first filter already? I thought u just recently got Dolly.

keep a really close eye on them since u only have three...

thats great news, but did u cycle that first filter already? I thought u just recently got Dolly.

Yes I agree a tank that has more then one fish in it needs to be cycled. Also when you only have 3 in a tank that means one girl is going to get picked on twice as bad as the other 2. You should have at least 4. I am sure you will not be upset that you have to get another girl.
Don't freak out when you do see some ripped fins because it will happen from time to time. But they get over it.

You should post a photo. I hope you also got some fun decorations for them to hide out in.

I have 5 girls in a 36 GAl tank.

I put filter media that was in Dolly's tank behind the new filter...and I'll be doing 20% water changes everyday. Isn't that okay?

& so far all the gals seem to be getting along A-OKAY :good: but yeah, I will be watching them very closely.

Also when you only have 3 in a tank that means one girl is going to get picked on twice as bad as the other 2. You should have at least 4. I am sure you will not be upset that you have to get another girl.
Don't freak out when you do see some ripped fins because it will happen from time to time. But they get over it.

You should post a photo. I hope you also got some fun decorations for them to hide out in.

I have 5 girls in a 36 GAl tank.

Yeah I do plan on getting two more (that way there won't be just one new girl)!

Also, do ripped fins heal/grow back?

& I'll definitely post photos eventually! There are plants and decorations currently in the tank, but I do want to get more taller/fuller *hardy* plants.

Fins do heal/grow back. Some people recommend certain meds but I found that the best cure for nipped or ripped fins, is simply good quality water and a healthy diet.

aslong as ur doing daily changes until the cycle is complete, then it shouldnt be a problem

Keep an eye on the ammonia levels though, if they start getting high ur in trouble

I was asking if the filter from Dolly's tank was cycled.... putting an uncycled filter filter behind an uncycled filter does not accomplish anything.

As long as your are doing 20% daily, things should be ok... Just still haven't gotten the grasp of cycling have you :p

Just keep the water clean and fins will grow back. Wait a while before you add any new females.... 5 is the absolute max for a 10g tank. As long as you decorate the tank heavily and keep the water quality top notch, you will be fine. When you do in fact add new females (i would wait AT LEAST a week), take all of them out and redecorate things before putting them back in. And make sure you acclimate them all properly.

I would certainly like to see some pics too.

aslong as ur doing daily changes until the cycle is complete, then it shouldnt be a problem

Keep an eye on the ammonia levels though, if they start getting high ur in trouble

I'll take a water sample to the LFS to test the levels and have them show me how to do so, since I am one who learns by watching.

I was asking if the filter from Dolly's tank was cycled.... putting an uncycled filter filter behind an uncycled filter does not accomplish anything.

As long as your are doing 20% daily, things should be ok... Just still haven't gotten the grasp of cycling have you :p

Just keep the water clean and fins will grow back. Wait a while before you add any new females.... 5 is the absolute max for a 10g tank. As long as you decorate the tank heavily and keep the water quality top notch, you will be fine. When you do in fact add new females (i would wait AT LEAST a week), take all of them out and redecorate things before putting them back in. And make sure you acclimate them all properly.

I would certainly like to see some pics too.

Dolly's filter media is a little under a month old- I got her around the beginning of the month...

And yeah, I'll be doing the 20% changes daily...I understand the cycling to a certain extent- there are so many ways people do it.

So far no fins have been bitten off...but I am concerned about the two new gals that I added this evening (I didn't read your post till it was too late)...everyone was saying how three wasn't a good number, so I thought that I better add the other two quick. I am concerned though because the first three Betta gals keep picking on the two new gals...how long will it take for the pecking order to be established? I do have places for them to hide, but I would like to get more fuller, taller plants soon. Also, I am worried about my babies not eating. Dolly eats, but she's the biggest of them all...one of the babies (Patsy) tried eating today but spit the pellet back out...I think it was too big for her 'cause when Dolly was eating a pellet and left some leftovers, Patsy ate those little bits. But for the most part the babies seem to stay at the bottom of the tank...i hope everything works out! i want them to be happy and healthy! i love them so much!

Most reactions

Back