I Felt Sorry For Them

4seasons

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
OK I am officially a fish fanatic now. I went to the best LFS in the area today. I was wanting some bogwood to help lower my PH and soften the water a bit. I was also wanting a few more plants to add to my freshly cycled 10 gallon tank. While I was there I was checking to see if they had any endlers and otos as I was planning to add them with my sons betta in the near future. Spotted some fish that looked a lot like endlers but I figured they must be guppy hybrids but was unsure as they were still pretty young. Well I picked out a couple of pieces of bogwood while the clerk was with other customers then I ask her about endlers and otos. They only had one oto and he didn't look to healthy and she said the only thing they had close to endlers was these feeder guppies. She said when they first got them in they were calling them endlers, but as it turned out they were hybrids. So I was picking out my plants when a guy comes in wanting 2 dozen feeder guppies for his piranhas to eat. So I ask the lady if I could get 6 of the pretty ones and took them home. After taking the betta out of the tank, rearranging everything, planting my new plants, adding bogwood, and drip aclimating the endler guppy hybrids, I put them in the tank. After a couple of hours I added the betta. He immediately flared at one and chased 2 more. After about 10 minutes or so he settled down and started exploring the tank checking out the bogwood and new plants. There are plenty of hiding spots for these little guys so hopefully they aren't still feeder guppies just for a betta instead of piranhas. They seem to be pretty feisty and dart for cover when the betta comes near so maybe they will make it. What do you guys think? Did I screw up or will these little guppies make fine additions to our betta tank?
2012-06-01_20-20-58_262_opt.jpg
They are all six in there but they are too quick to get in one pic. So I snapped a pic of the 2 calmest ones.

i just bought some similar guppys today myself for my female betta tank, the two females flared at them a little but after that didnt seem to care.

I think they are stunning looking fish ( whatever they are ) far to pretty to be food! I would have saved them too...

OK I am officially a fish fanatic now. I went to the best LFS in the area today. I was wanting some bogwood to help lower my PH and soften the water a bit. I was also wanting a few more plants to add to my freshly cycled 10 gallon tank. While I was there I was checking to see if they had any endlers and otos as I was planning to add them with my sons betta in the near future. Spotted some fish that looked a lot like endlers but I figured they must be guppy hybrids but was unsure as they were still pretty young. Well I picked out a couple of pieces of bogwood while the clerk was with other customers then I ask her about endlers and otos. They only had one oto and he didn't look to healthy and she said the only thing they had close to endlers was these feeder guppies. She said when they first got them in they were calling them endlers, but as it turned out they were hybrids. So I was picking out my plants when a guy comes in wanting 2 dozen feeder guppies for his piranhas to eat. So I ask the lady if I could get 6 of the pretty ones and took them home. After taking the betta out of the tank, rearranging everything, planting my new plants, adding bogwood, and drip aclimating the endler guppy hybrids, I put them in the tank. After a couple of hours I added the betta. He immediately flared at one and chased 2 more. After about 10 minutes or so he settled down and started exploring the tank checking out the bogwood and new plants. There are plenty of hiding spots for these little guys so hopefully they aren't still feeder guppies just for a betta instead of piranhas. They seem to be pretty feisty and dart for cover when the betta comes near so maybe they will make it. What do you guys think? Did I screw up or will these little guppies make fine additions to our betta tank?
View attachment 67290
They are all six in there but they are too quick to get in one pic. So I snapped a pic of the 2 calmest ones.

those are wild guppys..

View attachment 67290

those are wild guppys..
Look more like Guppy x Endler hybrids to me, though I could be wrong.

Id love a small group of Guppies for my tank, beautiful fish.

Well one of our new fish didn't survive. We now only have 5 of the ender/guppies. Don't know what killed one but when I first put them in 4 seemed to school right together one went to nipping at a piece of bogwood and the sixth one went to the back of the tank and tried its best to stay hidden. It took me 2 days to find him as he was very good at hiding. Last water change I found him under some decoration. No evidence of foul play and not sure how long ago he passed. Just hoping that he was on his last leg when we got him and the stress of the transition got him. First fish I have ever flushed as there are no guarantees on feeder fish. Hopefully he wasn't carrying a disease but all the other fish seem to be taking to there new home quite well.

Lost another one just a hour ago. He was up and swimming fine this morning. I noticed he has a chunk out of his tail fin though. Not sure if the betta might have took a bite off his fin as he has been chasing them ever once in a while but hasn't flared at them since the first few minutes that they were put together. I have no idea what would take this one from acting normal this morning to laying dead in the gravel this afternoon. Water is fine right now. Adding these guys has caused a mini cycle but I have been right on top of the spikes in ammonia and nitrite and getting the water changed as soon as I see them.

Most reactions

Back