The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

connorlindeman

Plant Man
Contest Moderator
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to my lfs and picked up three scissor tail rasbora. The guy at the store said they wouldnt get much larger then the 2 inches they are already are and said they would be fine with the two guppies that are already in the 20 g tank. Just looked at them on the web and it says they get to be 6 inches?!? What should I do? How long till they get to full size?

General rule-of-thumb is to not take advice from a shop worker, regardless of how knowledgeable they are or they seem. If you ask questions like "are they big?" and "are they compatible with (other species)?" the answer will almost always be the one that makes the sale seem as appealing as possible.

Rasboras are considered to be schooling fish so should be in larger groups, thus requiring a larger tank size (20 gallons would be a minimum imo). They can grow anywhere between 2 inches to 6 inches, max size isn't always the exact size each one will grow to, just a good number to go by to make sure you've got as much space for them as possible. Rasboras (like tetras) are generally peaceful and iirc can live in more diverse water parameters (particularly water hardness) than tetras and from my experience would be fine along with guppies.

I researched them on another site and it stated that they get to be 3.5 inches (not 6 inches). Another site said they grow to 3 inches and another one did say 6 inches. Two sites said 20 gal is minimum tank size, another one says 30 gal is minimum. So I don't know which one to believe. You could wait and if they get to 4 inches or more, bring them back to the fish store for store credit.

Last edited:
General rule-of-thumb is to not take advice from a shop worker, regardless of how knowledgeable they are or they seem. If you ask questions like "are they big?" and "are they compatible with (other species)?" the answer will almost always be the one that makes the sale seem as appealing as possible.

Rasboras are considered to be schooling fish so should be in larger groups, thus requiring a larger tank size (20 gallons would be a minimum imo). They can grow anywhere between 2 inches to 6 inches, max size isn't always the exact size each one will grow to, just a good number to go by to make sure you've got as much space for them as possible. Rasboras (like tetras) are generally peaceful and iirc can live in more diverse water parameters (particularly water hardness) than tetras and from my experience would be fine along with guppies.
yeah i really shouldnt have taken his advice. once he sold me a bala shark and said it would be perfect for a 20g. I took it back and he gave me a credit. Good to know that they probably wont eat the guppies

I researched them on another site and it stated that they get to be 3.5 inches (not 6 inches). Another site said they grow to 3 inches and another one did say 6 inches. Two sites said 20 gal is minimum tank size, another one says 30 gal is minimum. So I don't know which one to believe. You could wait and if they get to 4 inches or more, bring them back to the fish store for store credit.

i might keep them and get a larger tank if need be. I really dont know. I could take them back for credit.

i might keep them and get a larger tank if need be. I really dont know. I could take them back for credit.
why don't you just take them back to the person who sold them to you and show them what you found online?

unless you're going to get your larger tank now and get a larger group of them now also, you might not want to keep them.
I always get nervous thinking about buying a few of one fish and then adding some more to the few that I got if I ever want a group I want to get them all at the same time especially when you think about introducing any kind of diseases or anything into your tank or having any kind of issues with the established pecking order in the tank.

why don't you just take them back to the person who sold them to you and show them what you found online?

unless you're going to get your larger tank now and get a larger group of them now also, you might not want to keep them.
I always get nervous thinking about buying a few of one fish and then adding some more to the few that I got if I ever want a group I want to get them all at the same time especially when you think about introducing any kind of diseases or anything into your tank or having any kind of issues with the established pecking order in the tank.
i think ill take them back. thanks!

Most reactions

Back