I Did It

Well I know you'll all cringe but I have a young daughter who basically was raised by finding nemo so a percula is a must

I promised my girlfriend we'd get a clown to help convince the tank was a good idea and I though it was a little cliché at the time...

So happy I got it now though, it's a great fish with bags of personality

***EDIT***

Been a while since I posted here... really need to update that avatar pic, it's about 6 months old! :p

I nearly bought the jbj 24g but I ended up getting a tank made 24"x24"x18" with drilled holes, weir & 10mm glass for £80 so i could do a sump/refrigium. Like the thought of learning about sumps etc.

Finally was able to test my water stats yesterday so here they are:

Ammonia: 0.1
Nitrite:0.1
Nitrate: 5.0
pH: 8.2
Phosphate: 0.25

I son't know about the phosphate, the LFS says that's quite low but what do you all think? Will it go away when I start doing water changes?

Otherwise I think I'll likely be ready for introducing a few members of the cleanup crew in a few more days, can't wait!

SLC nano_2.PNG
here's what was a great closeup of the brittle star that came in with the live rock rubble, My camera's too many mega pixels so i have to shrink the pics way down for this site to accept them.

If ai may suggest, uploading pictures to a free photobucket.com account and link to them that way. You can have 1MB pictures hosted there and they even provide the IMG tages for you

Nano_Setup_013.jpg

Here's my setup after adding live rock rubble 2 days ago!

Wasn't particularly happy with the look of this one! I'll call it "reef trash heap"

New_Nano_010.jpg

And Finally here's my newest incarnation of "reef trash heap"

It still has a large, very open space in the center with a few open ports on each side to allow for hiding places and proper water flow (the powerhead jets right through). And now the top of the largest rock is open for the addition of a mushroom colony in the future.

SLC

I wanted to get a shot of the sea star that I got with the live rock but it has dissapeared in the trash heap for now! :blink:

Water stats are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 5-10
pH 8.3

Diatoms are starting to bloom!

Time for cleanup crew I think!

ohhh IM jelous.... allready for your cuc... it will be fun seeing your prgress..... I love the look of your rock.... that is some of why I love fish cause not a single tank looks the same.. no mass marketing here... just pure creativity and the idiosyncracies (sp) of nature

ohhh IM jelous.... allready for your cuc... it will be fun seeing your prgress..... I love the look of your rock.... that is some of why I love fish cause not a single tank looks the same.. no mass marketing here... just pure creativity and the idiosyncracies (sp) of nature

Nalaundi, being from Utah and all I've got to ask, which LFS do you prefer? I'm going to "The Aquarium" in Sandy for everything so far, but I am willing to travel for good fish specimins! If you don't mind I'd like to know!

I reccomend the Aquarium if you are still looking for a place! Fish-for-U is a good place too, but the staff is a bit shady so you've got to know what you need before you go there because if you aren't completely set they'll sell you stuff you may not really need or want!

SLC

I got a sea star with my tongan rubble at "The Aquarium" they still have a ton of it there and it's fully cured! And I only paid $6.00 for all of it! (3 lbs)

[uuote]
which LFS do you prefer?
I reccomend the Aquarium if you are still looking for a place! Fish-for-U is a good place too, but the staff is a bit shady so you've got to know what you need before you go there because if you aren't completely set they'll sell you stuff you may not really need or want!

SLC

I got a sea star with my tongan rubble at "The Aquarium" they still have a ton of it there and it's fully cured! And I only paid $6.00 for all of it! (3 lbs)
[/quote]

well, I myself like the fish stocking at Jays Jungle in Provo, havent been up to any northern stores.. pretty slim selectionif you know what I mean. I have been meaning to check out a few in Orem.... Aquatica and Where's Nemo... when I do (hopefully I will have a car in the next week or two) I will let you know what I find.

I will have to make a trip to "the Aquarium" it sounds like just the thing I am looking for.
oh I love having someone close to home to chat with.

tank is looking good, haven't seen many people with the 12 gallon cube for some reason

I think it's because the 24 isn't a tom more in price. I bought the 12 for 2 reasons:

1. I live on campus at the university, they come into my apartment all the time for maintenance and stuff and there is a nothing larger than 10 gallon rule, I didn't want to push it and run the risk of having my tank taken away, or losing my apartment.

2. I for some reason just have a fascination with little stuff, iPod nano, mazda 3, tinyest digi camera and laptop I could find etc etc. Maybe it's wierd but it seems so high tech to have such a thriving biotope in such a small package. I almost bought the 6 gallon nanocube!

SLC

P.S. The 24 gallon also used to have a huge problem with the sides cracking and the tank being ruined, don't know for sure if it's been remedied yet!

As your seeing PO3 and diatoms I would get some Rowaphos in their right away before it rockets and starts to give you problems.

Liking your rockpile look :good: don't worry if your not entirely happy I don't think anyone is. ;)

Most reactions

Back