I.D. my fish?

spellingwitch

Reaction score
Can anyone identify this fish for me?

Fish

This is not my site/link/photo but luckily I stumbled across this photo (which I don't think is a crystal red tetra in any case).

I bought 2 of these fish today which naturally were misidentified at the LFS. I'm a relative newbie so I fell for it. They are really tiny, maybe a 1/2 inch long. They are a bit more transparent than this photo shows. Black spots behind the eye and on the top fin, the lower fins and tail fins have an orangey-red tint.

Thanks!

id say it was either a serpae or a red phantom for sure....deffo 1 of them 2

Serpae Tetra or Red Phantom ?? but its hard, Serpae's dont usually have white tips on their dorsal fin... but you never know... could be either or they are very simialr in statue and in the way they behave.. your gues is as go0d as ours

If it weren't for the reddish color, I would say silver-tip tetras. The shape is exactly like mine! It also looks like the serpaes, but I can't see the bottom fin in the picture.

I just looked at my serpae's and they dont' have that black mark on their fins. I've tried to take SEVERAL pictures and they are not so good and I think I've freaked my fish out so I'm not trying anymore. :(

Well, the color in the photo is off but everything else in this picture and especially the dorsal says pristella tetra. The only two I've ever seen is the regular (silver/gray) one and a gold color morph. Neither match the color in th photo but everything is so right on that I think this is some kind of pristella.

Hey, I have 3 of those guys!!! :D I'm pretty sure their the Red Phantom Tetras.

FishyMe

10 Gallon Tank
3 Red Phantom Tetras
2 Head and Tail light Tetras
1 common pleko
1 green catfish

Oops, my bad, I just compared the pics of the Serpae and the Red Phantom... Mine have the same black edge along the bottom fin... Serpae's... :eek:

FishyMe

10 Gallon Tank
3 Serpae Tetras
1 common pleko
1 green catfish

fishyme said:
Hey, I have 3 of those guys!!! :D I'm pretty sure their the Red Phantom Tetras.

FishyMe

10 Gallon Tank
3 Red Phantom Tetras
1 common pleko
1 green catfish
Thanks! :) I'm sure that's what they are. They sure are cute, just babies I guess!

Most reactions

Back