I Can't Find The Right Ammonia To Cycle With

Clbrtwewill

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi again,
I've acquired a master test kit and a heater.

Can't find ammonia without it bubbling/foaming and without added ingredients/products - lemon fresh etc.

Anyone in TX on here? Where did you get it? Maybe I'm missing something since I'm a Yank living Down South and I'm still not that familiar with all the stores here.

I read you can get the right type from Ace Hardware but I am in San Antonio and Ace is about a 1.5 or more hour drive from our house. Lowes didn't carry the right type, Walmart, Target, HEB, Sears didn't have what I am looking for.

I can buy a 6-pack of gallon sized bottles off the web but I do NOT WANT that much of this stuff sitting around the house as I won't end up using it. Honestly can't stand the odor and there are much more natural products to clean with.

I am going to end up just making a go at a "fish in cycle".

Ace Hardware is where I found mine.
2012-04-27_12-56-59_156_opt.jpg
I have heard that True Value Hardware also carries it but can't confirm.

I did a quick check on Ace's website and they show 3 stores around San Antonio. One in Devine, one in Canyon Lake, and another in Wimberley. I don't see any of those being 1.5 drive if you live anywhere near San Antonio.
You could always use fish food as an ammonia source. It is a little hard to control the levels of ammonia but it is easy to find and is much safer for your fish than a fish in cycle.

You can also get ammonia for cycling off ebay. I got mine from ace hardware. Or you could do it the fast way and ask if shops will sell you some of their used filter cartridges. Usually private shops are more willing, just insist on icky used filter cartridges and none of the bottled crap.

After years of using household ammonia (with surfactants), I switched over to using ammonium chloride last year and only use it now. You can find it premixed such that dosing one drop/gallon results in 2ppm of ammonia here ammonium chloride

i have been using this and it works a treat

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MPLX4W/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

chubbs :)

I'm in Virginia and finally found some at a True Value hardware store.

Most reactions

Back