I Bought Some "spider Wood" Today..

trout_pout

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I went into a LFS today, I haven't been there before. Anyway, I went in to get some sand and left with fine gravel and some filter sponges. Whilst I was there I told them about me soaking the two pieces of bogwood I bought the other day. They told me that I would have to coat the bogwood with yacht varnish, but they also showed me some strange looking pieces of wood that they called "spider wood" (picture below)
Picture0098.jpg

They had pieces for £23.99 and £19.99, but the one I bought (above) cost £9.99. They told me that this does not "leak" like bogwood does and will not colour the water.

Is this very expensive for this sort of wood? Can someone possibly give me a link to a page with info about this wood, the last time I tried looking for it a picture of a spider on a piece of wood came up and I'm petrified by them so I don't really want to stumble across an image like that again...

I'm doing a water change on Friday, so I'm going to re-do the tank then and put the wood in.

Out of my experience... I just went to the beach and found a peice of drift wood and put it in the tank.... befor i put it in i just boiled it for like 30 mins then i put it in ... OR you can soak it for like a day or two then put it in your oven on high for a cpl hrs... just to kill everything nasty in it... after that I shoved er in the tank and no problems at all.. FISH LOVE IT!!! Haha I don't know if this is the right way todo it... BUT... works for me

never heard of what they told you but:

1) if it was pets at home you went to (on newport road? or any in that matter) dont listen to them, they are usless
2) learn to at least colour inside the lines :lol: :lol:

I dont know where in cardiff you live but big blue aquatics (right at the back of caerphilly garden centre) is very good :nod:

never heard of coating bogwood before. must have been what he used to get you away from it and on to what he was selling.

never heard of what they told you but:

1) if it was pets at home you went to (on newport road? or any in that matter) dont listen to them, they are usless
2) learn to at least colour inside the lines :lol: :lol:

I dont know where in cardiff you live but big blue aquatics (right at the back of caerphilly garden centre) is very good :nod:

:fun: Nah, it wasn't pets at home on Newport road that I got it from. It was from a shop called "city aquatics" I think, in Gabalfa. I simply put the pets at home bag underneath as a cheap plug :lol: .

I do usually go to pets at home on Newport road, that's where I got the bogwood from the day before.

Oh, by the way, quit criticizing my colouring ability. :grr: :lol:

lol I'm like you, a total wuzz when it comes to spiders, they scare the bejesus out of me!!!!

Be interesting how you go on with this wood because I bought some that looked exactly the same and was told to soak it for a week before putting it in. Trouble was that after a few days in a bucket it started to stink something awful. :sick: I asked about it on here and was told to throw it away and not risk putting it in my tank. Maybe I was just unlucky and got a 'bad' piece. They had a tank set up with a whole load of this wood, no plants or anything and it did look awesome. Hope you have better luck than me! :nod:

lol I'm like you, a total wuzz when it comes to spiders, they scare the bejesus out of me!!!!

Be interesting how you go on with this wood because I bought some that looked exactly the same and was told to soak it for a week before putting it in. Trouble was that after a few days in a bucket it started to stink something awful. :sick: I asked about it on here and was told to throw it away and not risk putting it in my tank. Maybe I was just unlucky and got a 'bad' piece. They had a tank set up with a whole load of this wood, no plants or anything and it did look awesome. Hope you have better luck than me! :nod:

Hopefully I will have better luck...

I'm considering cleaning / redecorating the tank today after my last university lecture of the day. So I'll probably post some pictures on how it went and what it looks like. :good:

Brill. look forward to seeing some pics!!!. I've just ordered a load of plants off Greenline so will be redoing my tank sometime next week from plastic to real. Its always an interesting time to see what a mess/great job you end up with when you've finished!! :lol:

ive got a piece of this wood and can confirm it doesnt leak like bogwood

however, the prices you are being quoted are crazy, in a store by me(Liverpool) they sell all sized pieces for £5.50

I've just finished re decorating the tank. It has taken 3 hours to do.

I'll post some pictures later when the water isn't so cloudy.

Btw, I've just found out that spider wood... floats :angry:

nah it doesnt, it just needs time to absorb the water and get rid of the air in it, i thought the same when i got some small bits of wood.

Most reactions

Back