I Bought My Shrimp Tank

Ficious

Fish Addict
Reaction score
just set my shrimp tank up tonight. ended up with a 3 gallon eclipse(basic petsmart aq.) with the bio wheel. there were so many decisions and ultimatley i wanted a cube with no edge work on the corners; just nice clean looking glass. anyway after many choices and set ups i bought this one because it had a biowheel filter and the hood and all could completly come off if i wanted them to.

i have 2 mango grass patches and 1 amazon sword.
5 ghost shrimp (for a start)
i think the tank cycles once every hour? maybe less...
hopefuly i shouldnt need to do constant water changes because of the bio bag-bio wheel combo??

anything else you guys might add let me know. its my first time ever with plants and i went by what the employee said. she seems somewhat knowledgable at the time. temp is at 72 right now (yikes?) but i think it should stabalize slowly to 74-76.

give me advice guys..i know i can improve this tank...as i was inspired by all you with nano shrimp tanks and a camera

plantedshrimp.jpg

i think im going to just leave the hood off and use my lamp
biowheel.jpg

3 of my shrimp..i think that big one is a female?? shes about 1.5 and owns the cave.

shrimp.jpg

a nice ornament to any desk top
desk.jpg

only 3 gallons..i looked at a 1.5, 2.5, and this 3...also a 4 gallon bio orb(rather costly)

ok cool so that should be relatively low maintaince. how often would you have to change the water i know they dont produce alot of waste?

idk im hoping once the tank gets broken in...the shrimp will be able to thrive off of micro organisms from the plants?? lol i guess well see..i would like them to reproduce so i can throw some in my bigger tanks..along with the plants

can anyone ID the plants on the left?? the grassy stuff? i dont know if it was like this when i bought it but theres some brown on every tip. its like it just started...only 1 cm so far:( anyone know???

could they just need to be clipped?? not with metal though right??

Nice Nice! Try to find a nice clump of moss to toss in somewhere. I noticed you said you are going to "start" with Ghost Shrimp. Does that mean that you are going to take them out after awhile? I said this because Ghost shrimp have a tendency to eat smaller and weaker shrimp.... So it may be hard to breed other shrimp in the future. Here is a compatibility chart: http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/dwarf_shrimp_...ity_chart.shtml

Besides that, very nice tank! Im glad we have another Invert Convert!

lovin that, might have to steal the idea too! but have fry in there aswell :shifty:

can anyone ID the plants on the left?? the grassy stuff? i dont know if it was like this when i bought it but theres some brown on every tip. its like it just started...only 1 cm so far:( anyone know???

could they just need to be clipped?? not with metal though right??

Hey, I'm pretty sure they're non-aquatic :(

They'll start to rot down and muck up your water quality... I'd take them out if i were you. :good:

i plan on taking them out and putting them in my other tanks...i just wana make sure theres nothing wrong with the setup that will harm more expensive shrimp.

as for the non aquatic plants...i am very very very upset with the store i bought these at. its simply my mistake for not knowing they werent aquatic. the woman told me they were, as they were planted in a very nice tank. as soon as i have a day off of work im going to look for some healthy plants to fill it it.

also i need a piece of driftwood in there. we had a lot of flooding where i live and theres some sweet driftwood right down the road. how do you get your pieces to sink? i know a couple of you have tanks with wood.

Most reactions

Back