Hypselecara Temporalis - Chocolate Cichlid

Cl@ssy Burd

Reaction score
A new addition to my tank today is this little guy, he was rather stressed out when i first collected him after being in a tank with some RTS and silver sharks :(
ABCD0002.jpg

After an hour or two he slowly seems to be settling in
ABCD0003.jpg

His fins have loosened up abit now and his colour is evening out, im sayin 'his' but i am unsure of the sex as yet.

Any tips on keeping these guys???

sorry i didnt give any tips on keeping him. I have never kept them or even seen them in my lfs. But if it's like any other cichlid, a nice shady tank with a few caves that it could hide in while it adjusts and a good healthy diet of cichlid pellets, river shrimp, mussles, and an occational treat of husked peas will help regulate their system :good:

They are about the most peaceful large cichlid going, so dont worry too much about other tankmates not being compatable. They like lots of veggies thrown in to suppliment their normal diet. Near neutral pH is best, but they are hardy fish.

Thanks for the suggestions, i was abit worried about bringing him home with him being a larger fish, i didnt want him disturbing my tank.

He seems to have settled in nicely, fins have all opened up nicely and his colouration has even up nicely.

Gave him some frozen bloodworm last night that he loved. Will tried and get some more photos when hes not so shy

Hi, I don't actually have any experience with these guys but it seems that sexing is different, although there's a breeding pair in my LFS and one, presumably the female was noticeably smaller and looked quite like yours but the male was very big and chunky.

Like severums, it can be a bit hard to tell. But, males are bigger and bulkier than females, and by the looks of it, yours is a male.

Most reactions

Back