Hydrogen Peroxide?

This is getting even more involved.;)

Can you find a link to online data about your light? And if you are on municipal water, as opposed to a private well, can you find the website of the water authority? It might have data we could use.

Distilled water on its own is not the best for fish; normally one mixes it with some tap water. Can you give us the link to info on this bottled distilled water? There could be minerals in it (assuming it is not true distilled water) that are part of this issue.

This is going to take some time to work through, so be patient.:)

water : great value (walmart) distilled spring water mixed with a bit of my tap water
Doing research on light (its a Fluval Spec light but it doesn't give info on it)

water : great value (walmart) distilled spring water mixed with a bit of my tap water
Hate to be a pain but we need to actual values of the tap water PH GH KH to start with.

How are you mixing the distilled water with tap water we need the actual percentages EG 1/2 a gallon of tap water to 1 gallon distilled water

Is this the distilled water you use?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Distilled-Water-1-Gal/10315382

>>> its hard an acidic

Are you sure? Hard water is normally alkaline.

If your water is green, a UV sterilizer will help, but I agree that finding and treating the cause is a better way forward.

Distilled water will not have nay nutrients in it. Plants will not grow in it. According the link Nickau provided it has a a little bit of sodium and potassium but that is all it says. I have to assume there are no nutrients in it. If you mix that with tap water any trace nutrients in your tap will be diluted down from the typically already low levels.

When using RO, DI, or distilled water your have to fertilize for plants and you must monitor PH, Gh,KH as well as the typically ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests. I learned this in my own tank. I use RO water. For a tank without plants you need to monitor GH and KH . Adding crushed coral or sea shells to your filter is a good way to maintain a stable PH, GH, and KH.

Any tap water used in the aquarium should be tested before being added. IF the PH is at the lowest reading the test can give you it must be allowed to outgas before being added to the tank. Some well water may have high co2 levels making the water acidic. Tap water may have chlorine which will also affect PH. It may take a couple of days for water to outgas sufficiently.

There is a way to control algae without chemicals. Algae are very good at absorbing nutrient in very nutrient poor water. It also does well in low light levels. Regular plants struggle in these situations. I used one fertilizer that covered all nutrients except copper and it proved be a better fertilizer for algae than it was for plants a(my plant didn't grow.

Conversely if all nutrients are available, Plants generally do better than algae. No one know exactly why that is but there is some evidence that high oxygen levels surpass algae growth. Tom Barr's Estimative index is currently a popular way to control algae. However it can be difficult to get everything exactly right to get it to work. But when it does the results are great.

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar...tive-index-of-dosing-or-no-need-for-test-kits

cool, so is there any way to remove the algae killing my fish, ive now had 2 fish die in 2 days, 1 a day. the algae in my tank is making the plants turn brown, with little hairs on them, also the water is PURE green and I can barely see into it, anyone know how to remove?? quick!

cool, so is there any way to remove the algae killing my fish, ive now had 2 fish die in 2 days, 1 a day. the algae in my tank is making the plants turn brown, with little hairs on them, also the water is PURE green and I can barely see into it, anyone know how to remove?? quick!
I just had a huge algae bloom in my 50 gal tank.... I kept changing the water I took the water in to get tested he said do not do anything let the fish die or move them util the water balances.. I did not have another tank..I lost almost all my fish...Finally I ordered a UV sterilizer and it cleared it up ..it took over a week..it was so green I could not see in more than an inch.I was shocked anything lived.. now my tank is very clear and algse only grows on the glass and I can handle that

Algae shouldn't be the cause of your fish dying. That's likely due to whatever is causing the algae bloom. How many fish/what type of fish are in the tank? Too much ammonia is likely the source of the problem, the algae is probably just a side effect. You could try getting live plants, those will suck up nutrients before the algae can use them. You should get your water parameters checked as soon as possible, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank in balance of light, macro, micro, and co2 causes algae. Sunlight is a cause as well. Lack of flow too. Generally people have either too weak or too strong of lights. Or have too long of a photo period. I prefer a mid day break.

As stated earlier some algae is not only natural but beneficial. If you except an algae free tank all the time your in wrong game.

Some faster growing plants as well as floaters can help too. Make sure your keeping up with filter maintenance and not over feeding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have this tank, here is the info on light and filter, if it helps you.

7500khigh, (35 white LE Ds) 460nm blue LEDs. And the filter does 53gph.

Most reactions

Back