Hydor Exthernal Heater Problem

Moonchild1

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a very strange problem with my new external in-line heater in my aquarium: Hydor ETH 200W

Every time I turn it on, the pH jumps from 6,7 till almost 12-13. Can anybody tell me why is this happening? The ph meter is for 100% working good, I have checked it with other liquids.

The ph jumps just after I turn on the heater. Have you heard about such situation?

----------Moonchild1-------------

Hmmm thats very strange!
I currently run a hydor 300w external with absolutly no issues. Well that iam aware of my tank stays at a steady 7.0.

Is it a brand new heater? Other thought was if it was second hand it could be contaminated. Although seems unlikly with that high a p.H.

They are absolutly excellent heaters though! As i find internals rather unsightly.

Yes, this is a brand new heater.

Do you know any other producer of such external heaters like Hydor? I would like to try also some heater form other producer.

Maybe you have a faulty heater!

As the OP has not offered more information as yet my best guess is that the heater is causing electrical interference or perhaps electrical leakage into the tank and this is effecting the readings from the electronic Ph meter.

but I may be wrong.

and when you turn it off how quick is the ph back to normal?

Yes, when I turn off the heater, the pH goes instantly down and for 1-2 hour it oscillates between 6,9-7,0 pH untill it reaches constant 7,0.

so it may not be a "fault".
more an effect of the Hydor, when an electronic meter is used?

Quite possible, but both my PH meter and TDS meter works fine on both tanks I have that use Hydor Inline heaters.

We know that a heater would not cause the PH to swing around like described, so my guess is either a faulty heater or low quality/ faulty meter.

Quite possible, but both my PH meter and TDS meter works fine on both tanks I have that use Hydor Inline heaters.

We know that a heater would not cause the PH to swing around like described, so my guess is either a faulty heater or low quality/ faulty meter.
thanks there.
I knew the PH could not really be changed by the meter so.
maybe the probe used had no temperature adjustment, or was incorrectly adjusted?

Thank you all for given tips and possible reasons. I will check the pH meter once again, but I have calibrated it several times and it works fine.

And btw, do you know maybe any other producer then Hydor that sells similar external heaters?

Thank you all for given tips and possible reasons. I will check the pH meter once again, but I have calibrated it several times and it works fine.

And btw, do you know maybe any other producer then Hydor that sells similar external heaters?

so you set the meter for the water temp, prior to taking a reading, or does your meter have "auto" correction?
coz if you set it up prior you will have to adjust as the temperature rises.
not doing so would give false readings

i think rena have/had on that can be attached to the end of the outlet.
as i recall, they were problematic.
smart heater, i think it was called.

thing is, there is no better in-line out there, than the Hydor, even so.

Most reactions

Back