Hunting Opinions

yorkshiretyker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey there :)

Archie's doing great, the greedy little pig he is, and has even started to take food from my fingers! - and he's crazy on making those bubblenests! - anyways!

I've had Archie a couple of months now, and he's done great in the 10 Gallon tank makeshift tank that I set up for him, but it kinda looks untidy and doesn't do Archie justice so got him a real cool looking tank which I will post photos of once I change him over.

I don't use filteration, I just water 50% changes every other day, I'm going to make his transfer from his old tank to his new tank the same as his water changes keep 50% of the old water and put it in his new tank.

My big question is, how do bettas do well in a tank without subtrate? I feel that this would make cleaning out all the poop and heaven forbid if there is any - old food. - the only slight problem that I can see, is that Archie's fav spot for chillin is his broad leaf plant leaf - and of course adding other real plants in there.

Any ideas? Isn't there some real plants that can live on bog wood? I'm sure I've read something about that in the forums at some time.

Cheers,
Lee.

u can get a turkey baster to suck up any old food and poop off the bottom of the tank

i think sand looks better than nothing at all

plant wise u can get bogwood with java fern on :)

Phoenixbaby said:
Anubias has lovely big leaves and will sit on bogwood. Expensive but a plant well worth its price.

yeah might go for the sand - I imagine once it is wet, it kinda packs itself tight, unlike gravel which stuff can get inbetween. Thanks for the info about plants too - might go for something that can live on bogwood, because I can't for the life of me get these current plants to stay rooted in the subtrate.

lee.

I don't use gravel. It keeps the tanks cleaner. I agree that if you're really decorating that sand looks nice, but with the bare bottomed tanks I can condition my fish properly without moving them to jars. I just put some java fern and java moss in there. It floats around and my fish rest on it. You could also go on some frog bit or water lettuce for floating broad leaf plants.

I don't use gravel. It keeps the tanks cleaner. I agree that if you're really decorating that sand looks nice, but with the bare bottomed tanks I can condition my fish properly without moving them to jars. I just put some java fern and java moss in there. It floats around and my fish rest on it. You could also go on some frog bit or water lettuce for floating broad leaf plants.

Thanks for that :) Bare bottom it will be.

Hi mate
Dont disregard the sand altogether. I have it 2 of my tanks and its easier to clean than gravel :good: Any poop or food just sits on the surface of the sand, unlike gravel where it can fall between the gaps.
The other substrate option is the the really tiny gravel, made by "Roman". It comes in an array of colours and can look really nice (Dont choose a pale colour though as it shows up any algae.

Hi mate
Dont disregard the sand altogether. I have it 2 of my tanks and its easier to clean than gravel :good: Any poop or food just sits on the surface of the sand, unlike gravel where it can fall between the gaps.
The other substrate option is the the really tiny gravel, made by "Roman". It comes in an array of colours and can look really nice (Dont choose a pale colour though as it shows up any algae.

Hi Bronzecat.

Check out my newest post, a trip out to look for some plants turned the plans of Archie's new tank upside down. I've been bitten by the bug, and have my second Betta! Call me crazy!! :hyper: I know!

I am though however going to give Archie a total clean out where I will either make his tank bare bottom or sand. Archie's substrate currently is that fine gravel made by roman, it's the blue and green colours.

Lee.

Yeh, just saw your new boy.......firey red little chap......nice :good:

Just going to throw it out again...I LOVE the look of sand, but many breeders have scolded me for using a substrate. The main reason is that when feeding a high protein food, if it's not completely eaten it can find it's way to the bottom and you may or may not see it with a substrate. Also, since you're not using any filtration, the icky stuff will just sit on the bottom, which will create a breeding ground for bacteria and all sort of other nasties to infect your bettas long pretty fins. That's all. That's why I use bare bottoms (it really is the easiest to clean. I've used all kinds of substrates before too). It looks really nice the way I have it, but again, I love you guys' sand tanks! Just different purposes I suppose.

Just going to throw it out again...I LOVE the look of sand, but many breeders have scolded me for using a substrate. The main reason is that when feeding a high protein food, if it's not completely eaten it can find it's way to the bottom and you may or may not see it with a substrate. Also, since you're not using any filtration, the icky stuff will just sit on the bottom, which will create a breeding ground for bacteria and all sort of other nasties to infect your bettas long pretty fins. That's all. That's why I use bare bottoms (it really is the easiest to clean. I've used all kinds of substrates before too). It looks really nice the way I have it, but again, I love you guys' sand tanks! Just different purposes I suppose.

He hasn't mentioned anything about breeding. This is his first betta and only has a male anyway! (two males now) I really dont know why you keep going on about breeding :crazy:

Look for anubias bateri, and anubias nana, also java fern and java moss - all of this will grow happily attached to bogwood

Look for anubias bateri, and anubias nana, also java fern and java moss - all of this will grow happily attached to bogwood
Yep, really nice :good: Floating stuff like frogbit and duck weed looks great too :good: With the floating plants, with their long roots it sort of joins the bottom of the tank to the top :good:

It's not just about breeding, but the fact that he's not using a filter as well, and assuming that he's feeding a higher protein diet other than strictly pellets, which everyone should be doing anyhow for proper health. I simply said that breeders have scolded me...meaning that people that have a lot of experience with raising bettas don't typically use a substrate. Please read what I've actually written before jumping down my throat next time. I am in no way putting down the use of sand as a substrate. I even said that I like it in your tanks. The difference is that you have yours nicely set up with filtration and the like. He has already stated that he will not have a filter- so naturally stuff will find it's way to the bottom. I'm only saying that bare bottom tanks are the easiest to see this stuff that's settled, and therefore easier to clean-- sand isn't hard to clean, it's just that bare bottoms are easier.

Whether you filter your tank or not "stuff" is going to build up at the bottom. Thats why people use gravel vacs. Basically, cus you got a telling off by the "big guys" on the breeders forums, you dont use substrate. Thats fine :good: But they are breeders and yes its easier to keep the fry tank clean with no substrate, but come on, every fish in every tank has a c***. So should every one not use substrate? The majority of fish tanks are kept primarily for asthetic reasons, and personally i think a tank with no substrate looks awful. I only do that for my spawning tanks. The other thing is, something i've been thinking about recently, by keeping fish in near sterile conditions from birth/hatching, are we not weakening the immune systems of the fish we are trying to promote? And no i dont know the answer, but i probably know someone who does?

People have been keeping fish with substrate for years and years without any issues arising. Me, personally, have about 20 years fish keeping experience.

Next year it'll be a different fad :nod:

Most reactions

Back