Huge Problem Lol

so just keep ammonia 4-5 each day and wait? what do i wait for, nitrite to go to 0?

Your tank is ready when Ammonia and Nitrites are at zero and not before. Continue giving the Ammonia to keep the Ammonia->Nitrite bacteria alive. Once the Nitrite->Nitrate bacterial are ready the Nitrites will hit zero and your Nitrates will rocket.

Once Ammonia and Nitrite hit zero do a large (50%) water change to remove some of the Nitrates and introduce a few hardy fish. Five or six Zebra Danios are a good choice. Monitor your levels over a couple of weeks to ensure the Ammonia and Nitrite remain at zero before getting additional fish.

This is exactly what I did over the past few weeks.

If you can raise the ammonia to 4 or 5 ppm and then the ammonia and nitrite are both back to 0 within about 12 hours, your tank is cycled. The problem with your pH is that you also have anaerobic bacteria (bad bacteria) that is completing the nitrogen cycle. They are changing the nitrate into nitrogen which drives the pH down. Regular water changes after the tank is cycled and has fish will prevent that from happening.

Another problem...I ran out of ammonia test strips yesterday, I did get the ammonia to 4-6 though. But will it be ok if I don't put ammonia in for 1 day, it wont kill the process will it. My new kit should be in tomorrow :/.

Most reactions

Back