Howdy =)

If you add liverock to a tank in sufficient quantities there is no need to cycle a tank. I have set up many tanks with large quantities of live rock and added fish immediately. No losses as of yet and no spikes even after 2 weeks of constant testing.

The livertock added in this case was uncured but it depends on the amount of die off that was on it. If the rock is smelling like rotten eggs then it is still inneed of cycling, if the rock smells of the ocean then its safe and the tank can sustain fish.

Thats what I did as well. But this person has only added a small amount, which is why I mentioned that. I think that's a good suggestion though, to just buy a bunch of cured LR.
:)

Maestro where did you pick that up from? The black brace bar on mine can be removed. It is only used to hold the 2 flourescent bulbs that are there.

As for the live rock I know 25kg isnt enough and Im hoping to add another 10kg this week but budget is holding me back on the LR front until next pay day. As for the existing rock its smelingl lovely :)

I dont really want to use Damsels to be honest. I wont want them in my tank afterwards so Id rather not cause them unnecessary stress.

My nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are more or less zero, they barely register on my tests. Once they have completely not registered I was planning on adding my clean up crew and maybe a perc clown. Good idea or not? It would have been 4 1/2 weeks since I originally set this tank up.

**edit**
I have had no algae bloom at all as of yet, is this something I should be expecting still??

If you add liverock to a tank in sufficient quantities there is no need to cycle a tank. I have set up many tanks with large quantities of live rock and added fish immediately. No losses as of yet and no spikes even after 2 weeks of constant testing.

The livertock added in this case was uncured but it depends on the amount of die off that was on it. If the rock is smelling like rotten eggs then it is still inneed of cycling, if the rock smells of the ocean then its safe and the tank can sustain fish.

Nav,

I have just set up my 30gal (27 imp gal) with 34lbs (just over 15KGs) of fully cured live rock (non-eggy ;0)) as well as 20lbs of LS. So are you saying it is OK to add fish straightaway or would it have to be more LR?

Depends if your live rock is actually fully cured. If it is the water quality and protein skimmer collection will reflect this. Test the water and if its fine then go for a couple of fish.

Ben

The black juwel bracing bar most certainly is a retraining bar :nod:

I helped relocate a Jewel Vision 450 last year and the house removal people picked up the tank by this bar which snapped it away from the edges. We placed the tank in the new house and tried to glue the bar back into place. All seemed fine until we got to the final couple of Cms of water from teh top then we heard a loud "CRACK" and saw the bracing bar fly up into the air! :blink: :-(

I rushed over to the tank and physically held both back and front panes of glass whilst it was emptied to about half its capacity. When i saw it at firs tthe rear pane of glass had warped by at least 3-4cm! We phoned Juwel straight away and they told us that under no circumstances must we fill the tank any higher. They would send out a replacement brace bar immediately to replace the broken one along with the glue that holds it. (they merely clip into place and are then glued)

This worked thankfully but even then the people who owned the tank were not happy seeing the back glass under to much pressure and so they claimed on the removals mens insurance and got a new tank about 6 weeks later :D

Do not remove the Juwel brace bar unless you intend to replace it with a clear glass brace bar.

Ok ignore my stupidity wording in my last post. I have no brace bar in my tank I just have the light I bar across the top...

As for lighting I may have a chance to pick up a 4 x T5 unit for cheap. Whats the limitation of that with my setup? Am I limiting myself to the less light dependent corals??

Im pretty sure that you must have a brace bar? I black plastic bar that runs from the front of the tank to the back, you may even have 2 on that size tank.

I have a rio 180 and and I have 1 accross the centre, if your not sure can you tank a picture of the top of teh tank under the hood?

I have a RIO 125 and mine has definately got a brace bar. Sits just over the top of the water.

Sorry for the late reply Jodie. :*)

As was mentioned above. If your water perameters are fine then you can add fish.

No prblem Nav. Better late than never :D

I've go to wait til the weekend b4 I can get to the LFS anyway...

Its all going swimmingly <touch wood> :)

Ive got a question about blue legged hermits and turbo snails. Are these safe to keep together?? My LFS is selling red legged hermits for £4.99 whereas I can get blue legged on ebay for 50p each.

If they are going to kill all my snails Im going to go with red legged. Anyone any suggestion of other places I can acquire them?

That's expensive for Red-Legs IMO

My LFs usually sells them for around £3.50 each or 10 for £30

As for the compatibility, Blue's will be ok with snails but they do predate them so you may find that the odd snail goes missing. Blues are easier the come by as they are more prolific on the reef than Reds, thus the price reflects this. Reds are always dearer but as with anything, you have to shop around for the best prices.

The reds tend to be lazier than the blues IMO but they are far less aggressive. i find the blues will attack reds and kill them and will predate on snails. Reds will too of course but they seem far less aggressive than their blue skinned cousins.

Most reactions

Back