How Would You Proceed With This Shrimp Tank?

Java moss doesn't grow emersed, you probably just have some that is a little light deprived.

Also I have a fluval 2 in my 20gal with lots of breeding cherries. I tried covering the intakes slots, but found this to be a real pain. So what I do and what has proved very successful to me. Is to just setup the filter normally, with nothing covering the intakes. The cherry shrimplets get sucked up into the filter and there they stay and grow until I clean it :D. I use filter floss in mine as the original sponges where too porous. But the shrimplets will live on the filter floss inside the filter and they seem really happy in there. They probably munch on all the stuff that gets stuck in the floss. When I pull the filter out shrimp scatter out of it, but a lot get stuck in the filter once the water has drained. So I use a white bucket and fill it with tank water then open the filter in it and gently swish each piece of floss around in the water to knock off the shrimplets. Don't clean the floss as this will cloud the water. Then I net the shrimplets and toss them back in the tank. Be sure to rinse out the black parts too as shrimplets will get stuck to those when you pull the filter from the water.

This method lets you know how well your shrimp colony is reproducing. I know not all shimplets will get caught in the filter, I feel like its less than 1/2 or so. The rest stay hidden in the plants. But the more shrimplets I pull out of the filter the more I know my shrimps are breeding and it helps me determine the size of my colony and how fast its growing. Currently I get about 24 shrimplets out of my filter every week, but depending on the size of the colony it can go up to 50+. Which usually tells me I need to get rid of some.

I've got the same size tank as you. I've got fish and shrimps, all the fish are shrimp safe. They are also all endler fry safe, which I'm not sure is a good thing or not :S . I like to keep the shrimp colony under 200 shrimp, mainly cuz of space and food requirements. If your tank is shrimp only you could probably get away with another 100 shrimp, before you start moving adults to other tanks or selling them. Especially if you actually feed the shrimps.

Honestly if it was me I would just fill up the tank with fast growing plants and toss the shrimp in. Shrimp produce such a small bioload that the plants would of taken care of it. My tank resembles a swamp and I have my suspicion that the filter doesn't do anything except move the water around.

Most reactions

Back