How/when should I clean my filter?

On the water changes...we cannot ever match what occurs in nature. Last week a member posted one of Oliver Lucannus' video of cories in their habitat, and Oliver noted the water current and said we can never come anywhere close with water changes to what fish frankly need and from which they benefit. Discus breeders often change 90-95% of the water in fry tanks two and some even three times a day--the result is healthier and faster growing fry. The point here is that the fish benefit from more water changes and that should tell us something as to the incredible value of water changes. I had a fish room with 8 tanks, including a 115g, 90g and 70g plus smaller tanks, and I changed 60-70% in each tank every Sunday without fail. I never had all the disease issues that are rampant on this forum, and I have not the slightest doubt that the water changes were a major factor.

Many in this hobby have no real understanding of the complex relationship between fish and their aquatic environment. It is quite unlike that of any terrestrial animal. Clean fresh water is the most important factor in healthy fish. It is no surprise that many members here first recommend a major water change at the sign of problems. Read my article on water changes.
Can't agree more on the water change topic.

I come to this thread quite late, but thought I'd add my $.02 anyway...

An ongoing misconception in the hobby is that beneficial bacteria only or primarily lives in the filter. And of course the makers of expensive bio medias want us to believe this so we continue to buy their products. Now the filter is a great place for BB to live and a colony may very well start there in a new setup. However, beneficial bacteria will inhabit any hard surface and in the established tank (6 months or more) there is typically far more BB in the substrate than in any filter.

Now I'll admit that I once thought that the filter traps organic matter where it decomposes and pollutes the water so we are best served by getting the crud out of the system the sooner the better. Perhaps somewhat valid, but only if you clean the filter every day!

In later years I've come to realize that much like the substrate, the filter is best left undisturbed where the biology can mature and do it's best job for us. Now all of my filters are completely fillled with sponge material. I find that sponge material is not only great for mechanical filtration, but also the perfect platform for beneficial biology. And these days I let filters run until there is a noticeable reduction in output flow. Then I will clean the filter at least enough to restore proper flow.

Now I have untreated well water, but even if I didn't I would clean under the tap and leverage the sink sprayer.

For a deep dive, check out Filtration and Water Quality. :)

I come to this thread quite late, but thought I'd add my $.02 anyway...

An ongoing misconception in the hobby is that beneficial bacteria only or primarily lives in the filter. And of course the makers of expensive bio medias want us to believe this so we continue to buy their products. Now the filter is a great place for BB to live and a colony may very well start there in a new setup. However, beneficial bacteria will inhabit any hard surface and in the established tank (6 months or more) there is typically far more BB in the substrate than in any filter.

Now I'll admit that I once thought that the filter traps organic matter where it decomposes and pollutes the water so we are best served by getting the crud out of the system the sooner the better. Perhaps somewhat valid, but only if you clean the filter every day!

In later years I've come to realize that much like the substrate, the filter is best left undisturbed where the biology can mature and do it's best job for us. Now all of my filters are completely fillled with sponge material. I find that sponge material is not only great for mechanical filtration, but also the perfect platform for beneficial biology. And these days I let filters run until there is a noticeable reduction in output flow. Then I will clean the filter at least enough to restore proper flow.

Now I have untreated well water, but even if I didn't I would clean under the tap and leverage the sink sprayer.

For a deep dive, check out Filtration and Water Quality. :)
How often, on average, do you clean yours?
My filter came with sponge so that's good.
I thought the substrate contained ammonia so it's best not to disturb it?
I think I'll clean the filter when I see a reduction in flow, which will probably be a few months. :)

How often, on average, do you clean yours?
My filter came with sponge so that's good.
I thought the substrate contained ammonia so it's best not to disturb it?
I think I'll clean the filter when I see a reduction in flow, which will probably be a few months. :)
The substrate should be occasionally vacuumed. Your filter media (sponge) should be cleaned lightly not too often since that is where your beneficial bacteria lives.

The substrate should be occasionally vacuumed. Your filter media (sponge) should be cleaned lightly not too often since that is where your beneficial bacteria lives.
I do have hundreds of snails that seem to clean up any algae, leftover food or dead leaves. I have a feeling I wont need to clean anything for a while!
Thank you for the advice

I do have hundreds of snails that seem to clean up any algae, leftover food or dead leaves. I have a feeling I wont need to clean anything for a while!
Thank you for the advice
I don't know... I would say, now you have hundreds of snails pooping on the gravel :(

I don't know... I would say, now you have hundreds of snails pooping on the gravel :(
They're tiny little trumpet snails, they don't produce much waste.
It was a complete accident, they came in my substrate and now they keep having babies!

Perhaps if you have coarse gravel... I have sand and I never touch the substrate except for planting or moving any rooted plants. A very advanced biology develops in the substrate that is best left undisturbed. (see The Very Best Aquarium Filter). Vacuuming the substrate upsets the beneficial organisms, many of which inhabit at preferred depths relative to the available oxygen.
Some hobbyists obsess over mulm that may collect on the substrate and although this is natural and beneficial it can be unsightly. But this can be easily removed by hovering and siphoning over the surface without disturbing the substrate. Although I have debris in some overstocked grow out tanks, most of my tanks (with sand substrate) are relatively mulm free. In part, this may be due to the Malaysian Trumpet snails cleanup crew constantly at work living their lives in the articificial ecosystem. :)

footnote: It should be noted that unlike a coarse gravel substrate, sand, due to it's small size, does not let uneaten food, fish, and plant waste 'down under' where it might decompose anaerobically.

Most reactions

Back