How To Use Biological Filter Media?

doraemon213

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have seen online about many kinds of biological filter media (like those ceramic balls/rings, etc), but I cannot find any good explanation on how to use these things. Several questions:

1. I only have a hang-on filter with a carbon cartridge currently. Can I replace the cartridge with just a sponge like this one?
  2. Do I use media bags like these and put in the media like these, then put the bag in the hang-on filter in the area after the carbon cartridge?
  3. I am looking to start a 20 gallon tank, the above hang-on filter is used in my current 10-gallon tank. Can I start putting the filter media in now for colonizing bacteria before transferring to the new tank? If so, how long should it be in the old tank before transferring?
Thanks!

I would see it safe to replace the cartridge with the sponge. Or you could do what I did, and put the sponge around the intake (you can cut a notch it it, or get a hydro sponge filter replacement sponge and putit around, though I doubt it would fit on a 10. You can use media bags and put in some media, but I am not sure if it will fit, and haven't tried it. I would recommend putting in the media by itself, for media like that, it shouldn't be a problem if you put it before the carbon.

Congratz on looking to start a 20 gallon. You can put in filter media, and I would leave it for a month or so, but for the carbon cartridges you don't want them in the tank for 2 or 3 months especially for Aqueon from my personal experience. Also, you still need to test the tank and make sure it cycles, putting in the media is by no means a gaurantee.

Based on what you have said in your question, I assume your tank isn't cycled, is that the case? How long has it been set up? What is the stock?

The carbon that is currently in your filter is doing nothing for helping your fish. Carbon is used for removing chemicals (primarily meds after treatment is completed) from the water. It will not remove ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates, and after a week or 2, will become useless as the carbon looses it's effectiveness. Yes, you can replace the carbon with a sponge, I use a similar set up in one of my tanks.

There are threads in the Cycling Section that will explain in more detail, but essentially bio-filters work by growing a colony of bacteria on their media (sponges, ceramic spool-looking things, etc) that eats the ammonia produced by the fish and turns it into nitrite. This nitrite is then broken down into nitrate by other bacteria in the filter, and nitrates are removed by weekly water changes and/or live plants.

Before you start stocking your 20 gallon, I recommend you do a Fishless Cycle on it, and a Fish-In-Cycle on your 10 gallon. For this you will need a test kit, preferably a liquid master kit such as the one offered by API. Again, consult the Cycling Section for more help once you have begun.

The tank has been cycled for a few weeks now, with 0 on all ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It only has one fish in it now and 2 live plants. I have already gone through the whole nasty fish-in cycle (noob mistake), and that's also partly why I want to start over nicely. I am trying to do all the research first :)

I am planning to do fishless cycle, and hoping I could transfer some media over from the old tank to speed up the process. The only media I have now is probably the gravels, but I actually want to switch substrate to sand.... Now Ii have this crazy idea, instead of waiting for another month for new filter media to work its way in the old tank, can I put some old tank gravels in the new tank filter during fishless cycle? :eek:

If you have room, put the new media (bio-ball or sponge) in with the carbon cartridge. The carbon cartridge will have some amount of bacteria on it so if you take it out, you will have to cycle your tank again.
After about 4 weeks you can remove the carbon cartridge, just keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite readings to make sure they don't spike.

Ok, I will look into replacing the carbon cartridge.

For sponges and bio balls, do they need to be replaced once in a while?

The balls wouldn't ever need to be replaced... the sponge only replaced when it starts to disintegrate.

eaglesaquarium said:
The balls wouldn't ever need to be replaced... the sponge only replaced when it starts to disintegrate.

Oh, no need to replace even for ceramic ones?

No; I have ceramic rings (and sponges) that have been in constant use for well over 15 years.

doraemon213 said:

Oh, no need to replace even for ceramic ones?

The balls should last 'forever' just like the ceramics.  Both are fine - long term.

Agree with everyone, have swapped over an hob and an internal that way. Crammed sponge in, then after a time took out the cartridge and added more sponge and ceramics.
As has been said, watch for a spike.

My only concern is 0 nitrates. Normally in a cycled tank there should be some nitrates.

frapadoodle said:
Agree with everyone, have swapped over an hob and an internal that way. Crammed sponge in, then after a time took out the cartridge and added more sponge and ceramics.
As has been said, watch for a spike.

My only concern is 0 nitrates. Normally in a cycled tank there should be some nitrates.

Yeah, I asked about it earlier on the forum and I was told that probably the plants took those nitrates.

That said, the bio load in the tank is very small right now. There is only one platy -- she looks pretty healthy to me though.

Ah, well, guess I should pay attention to stocking.
I know my tap water is at 20ppm. In the tanks gets to 40ppm.

Most reactions

Back