How to tell who is killing my guppies

Ddial

Reaction score
I had 6 fancy guppies and 1 male betta. I was told they could be kept together but watch out for aggression. I have a 30 gallon tank and tons of live plants. One by one my guppies tales were being nipped and one died every day. I am down to 2. I have read that guppies can do that to each other too. I have never seen my guppies or my betta be aggressive with each other. I am confused.

It's obious it's the betta. Its never a good idea to keep ornamental fish with bettas.
This would work out with my betta as he has two masks..
What I've noticed is that if other fish, like guppies, will be first in the tank for a week or more then you would put in the betta and he already would know that this isn't his territory, and if you have put in the betta first or put them all together first in the tank, you could expect the betta being agressive, just like now. Try moving stuff around to break up the bettas territory and see if this stops, if not, I would either give away the betta or get a spare tank for him if you don't want to give him away.

It's obious it's the betta. Its never a good idea to keep ornamental fish with bettas.
This would work out with my betta as he has two masks..
What I've noticed is that if other fish, like guppies, will be first in the tank for a week or more then you would put in the betta and he already would know that this isn't his territory, and if you have put in the betta first or put them all together first in the tank, you could expect the betta being agressive, just like now. Try moving stuff around to break up the bettas territory and see if this stops, if not, I would either give away the betta or get a spare tank for him if you don't want to give him away.
The betta hangs out at the bottom of the tank and the guppies stay at the top. I watch them a lot and have never seen him be aggressive so I just don't get why he is only being aggressive when I am not here. He hangs on the right side and the guppies hang on the left so their territories shouldn't cross. Lots of plants too. Just don't get how this is happening.

The betta hangs out at the bottom of the tank and the guppies stay at the top. I watch them a lot and have never seen him be aggressive so I just don't get why he is only being aggressive when I am not here. He hangs on the right side and the guppies hang on the left so their territories shouldn't cross. Lots of plants too. Just don't get how this is happening.
Move things around anyway. What are your water parameters? Its not normal for the betta to just hang out on the bottom. What is tank temperature? Do you have a heater?

Move things around anyway. What are your water parameters? Its not normal for the betta to just hang out on the bottom. What is tank temperature? Do you have a heater?
No he is at the top now, guess I should have said he hangs on the right side. I have a 30 gallon tank

Its still not good that you keep the betta with other fish.
From all research I did said they can live in a community tank with certain fish. It said just watch for aggression but haven't seen any. Probably gonna move the betta though. Just don't get it. He isn't anywhere near the others most of the time.

From all research I did said they can live in a community tank with certain fish. It said just watch for aggression but haven't seen any. Probably gonna move the betta though. Just don't get it. He isn't anywhere near the others most of the time.
In your case, he's hurting your fish. You shouldn't keep him with any other fish if he's hurting and killingnother fish in the tank.
Try to put your heater on 80 degrees. Guppies will be fine with this temp for some time.

I can do that but since I am learning, what will that do?
In your case, he's hurting your fish. You shouldn't keep him with any other fish if he's hurting and killingnother fish in the tank.
Try to put your heater on 80 degrees. Guppies will be fine with this temp for some time.

Despite what many websites say, bettas are not community fish and should be kept alone. A betta may attack the other fish in the tank, or they may attack him. The best thing you could do is get a 5 gallon tank and move the betta into that - take some media from the current tank.

I once visited a shop which had a betta in the guppy tank. As I watched, the betta singled out a guppy, herded it into the bottom corner then pounced. All the guppies had bits missing. I told the woman who owned the shop and she said he'd only been there since that morning and she moved him to another tank. This is typical betta behaviour.

Despite what many websites say, bettas are not community fish and should be kept alone. A betta may attack the other fish in the tank, or they may attack him. The best thing you could do is get a 5 gallon tank and move the betta into that - take some media from the current tank.

I once visited a shop which had a betta in the guppy tank. As I watched, the betta singled out a guppy, herded it into the bottom corner then pounced. All the guppies had bits missing. I told the woman who owned the shop and she said he'd only been there since that morning and she moved him to another tank. This is typical betta behaviour.
I agree. I love what you wrote. Sorry.. :blush:

I can also pull him out of the tank for a week or two and reestablish him if that would help. Just a thought.
Get 5-10 gallon tank for him and let him live on his own. He's not a social betta nor he's got two masks like mine that can live both, alone and with community fish where he doesn't hurt anyone or anyone attack/s him.

Most reactions

Back